ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Another cave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/23/2005, 9:37 am    Post subject: Another cave Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess good caving is like really good hiking or backpacking to a special destination. The difficulty and how much pain you are in the next day is directly related to the splendors you experience. Pass me more advil or something stronger.

I have been wanting to get into this cave forever. It is as spectacular as any place I've seen, and as challenging, for me the neophyte climber.
We went in for a cave survey to clean up some apparently inaccurate areas on the cave map, reestablish survey points, and try to reconcile the differences. We had two teams, from the very experienced to the newbies.
I was not too bad with the light bar compass, which was really neat, but my clinometer skills stink. More things to learn. Although survey work is kinda slow, and had some time for photos, we really didn't sit much. With our sizable group we had to get moving. As it was we were underground a solid 9 hours. Go in the cave in morning light, get out by starlight.

The cave is wonderfully decorated thruout. Columns, stalactites, stalagmites, draperies, curtains, bacon, soda straws, helectites, it had it all. And everywhere you turned. In fact some of our climbing was by necessity using some formations, which made me feel kinda bad and trying to be extra careful.

We had ropes set up to do a lateral traverse of an 18 foot entrance pit, then for the "gorge". The experienced just free climbed with it as a hand line, the rest of us clipped in to harness, and crawled across on knees as there were no foot holds for part of it. We had a funny moment when one of our members took a stroll thru a pool he did not see. Fortunately very warm in this cave; we were all sweating, so his little cool down did not affect him much.

Climbing was fun with all the slick flowstone, this is a living cave so things are damp. You find out how "sticky" your shoes are. We also climbed mostly with our packs, which was very challenging in spots. Going out some of us went ahead and decided to do the climbs on our own. I did ok but almost got myself into a bad spot trying the lateral traverse ducking under a ledge with my pack. Got stuck, couldn't back up very well, ended up leaning way out then getting around. The young guys were already up and over and wondering what was keeping the "old lady".

A great trip, spending time with our team which is getting more cohesive, learning some new skills, trying to be more aware with conservation.
We will be back next month for more survery. I can't wait.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/23/2005, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you folks record the rock formation the caves are located in example Apache Formation ?
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/23/2005, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker, yes they record a lot of information regarding the cave size, dimensions, flora and fauna, bat activity, the type of limestone and what part of what area the cave is in. Where there is one cave usually are several; I've learned. Fault line activity, etc. One column was fracture and shifted about a half foot, a large shift. No telling when that occurred.

What is also fascinating is I learned the Navajo sandstone of the 4 corners fame is found as far south as the Tucson mountains.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/23/2005, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A cave I was once in the limestone contained fossils. The limestone formation in the White Canyon Wilderness also contains fossils and I think they were both the same formation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: