ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Kartchner Caverns and Tombstone Road Trip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/27/2005, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Kartchner Caverns and Tombstone Road Trip Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jen and I drove down south today and checked out Kartchner Caverns. We took the Rotunda / Throne Room tour as the Big Room Tour only runs Oct - April when the bats are gone.

It was pretty cool to see and a nice story on how it was found, plus being able to keep it secret to protect it. I was pretty amazed how they managed to put up lights inside to give light to certain colums, but I never saw a wire in the place. There was one area that was muddy and you would only see one path of mud prints, not a bunch of individual ones. I think managing to keep it that way is pretty amazing. I'm still just in awe that you can be driving in the middle of no where and have a cave like that underneath you. Makes you wonder what else is out there.

After the tour we drove down to Tombstone to do some more touristy stuff. Went and saw the "Shoot-out at the O.K. corral" and had lunch at Big Nose Kate's Saloon. Would have been an interesting place back in the day.

After that we just came home. Nice little trip to get out of town and I think the Caverns are a nice thing to see at least once. I will probably go back in the winter to take the other tour. I can see how caving could be pretty addicting. Looking at some of the video clips and photos of people squezzing through cracks into the unknown looked pretty cool.

http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/kartchner.html
TIM
evenstar

PostPosted: 8/27/2005, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went through Kartchner Caverns last Sept. and it's an awesome trip.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 8/27/2005, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kartchner Caverns and Tombstone Road Trip Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I can see how caving could be pretty addicting.
TIM
Pmail me dude, it can get real addicting!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/28/2005, 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice Trip Tim. Figure one day I'll get there to see it (unless they close it to before I get there). They talked about that once to preserve it. Glad you and Jen had a good time.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/28/2005, 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you had fun! I wanna go to the caverns some day....I saw Tombstone with Patrick... don't ever need to see that again (Glad I saw it though). Fun history but they have made it so touristy...

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/28/2005, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Should we try to set up a trip to do the "Big Room Tour", sometime after October?

Maybe we can drive down there on Friday night and camp, do the tour Saturday morning. Drive to some trailhead in the area and do a dayhike on Sunday and come home?

I'm not really sure what is in the area but I'm sure someone here knows. I think it's a nice place but I just want to fit something else in the weekend besides the tour.

What do you all think?
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 8/28/2005, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Huachucas are just down the road; Miller Peak, Carr Peak etc. Better with a group due to the illegal immigrant action down there. If not too late might beat the snow, but then that might make it fun!!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/31/2005, 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Should we try to set up a trip to do the "Big Room Tour", sometime after October?

Maybe we can drive down there on Friday night and camp, do the tour Saturday morning. Drive to some trailhead in the area and do a dayhike on Sunday and come home?

I'm not really sure what is in the area but I'm sure someone here knows. I think it's a nice place but I just want to fit something else in the weekend besides the tour.

What do you all think?

Hmmm... Chin Scratching I'm sure we can rustle up some trail near by! If all the dates work out I'd be interested !
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/31/2005, 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be interested in that also if The dates work. I've never hiked in the South. What am I talking about there's a lot of places I've never hiked. Sounds like a plan. to me.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hnak

PostPosted: 8/31/2005, 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't seen the Big Room yet, so sign me up too...
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/31/2005, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmm, I might just be able to fill my calendar up yet!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 8/31/2005, 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd like to go - and if they allow kids, I know Caleb would LOVE to do that trip.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
jkern15674

PostPosted: 9/1/2005, 11:38 am    Post subject: cave Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's try this again.......would love to go.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/1/2005, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kartchner is just AWESOME. I was there last November.

Definitely worth the drive.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
cficken

PostPosted: 12/30/2005, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That place look incredible. Would like to go there atleast once. Does anyone know of any other places like that? And anything closer to KS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: