ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Four found dead in Utah Cave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 8/18/2005, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Four found dead in Utah Cave Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050818/ap_on_re_us/cave_search
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 8/18/2005, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just read that before you posted it - let's be careful out there folks!

I'd be willing to bet that they were beginning or intermediate level cavers who thought they knew what they were doing.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 8/18/2005, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is why you want to go with people with experience and good gear.
A little story told at my cave group meeting.

A young man was shown an intermediate but serious cave here in Southern Arizona. He promptly brought two friends in the next weekend. He dropped a clothes line over what he thought was a 15-20 foot drop to do it hand over hand. He lowered himself into a 140 pit called the "Hell hole". When he came to the end of his rope and realized his error, his friends tried to pull him up. He was over some slick flowstone, no foot holds. He fell after holding on 45 minutes. The drop narrows and opens, so he fell not smoothly to the bottom.
He lived an estimated 7-8 hours, when rescue came he had died.

The cavers state--he was stupid and basically killed himself.

Caves like the above with sumps (water filled passages) are really bad. 8 folks from a grotto back east got caught inside one but had stored emergency provisions in the cave above waterline and were rescued after 4 days, all alive and well.

In the group I am with 3 members are certified in cave rescue. One member has been in a certain "famous" cave in New Mexico (not Carlsbad) over 40 times helping out with research and science. I am lucky and hopefully will learn to explore the "right" way.
But it is why I haven't offered to take anyone, I am not qualified and don't want anyone getting hurt, including me!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: