ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Anasazi cultures in AZ and the southwest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nealz

PostPosted: 8/10/2005, 10:45 am    Post subject: Anasazi cultures in AZ and the southwest Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just finished a good book - IN SEARCH OF THE OLD ONES - Exploring The Anasazi World of the Southwest by David Roberts. The author is an avid hiker and backpacker with a great personal amateur interest in Southwestern archeology. It is written in generally layman's terms (fortunately for me) and is well-balanced, eloquent and thoughtful. If you've been to any of the 'beaten track' sites - Montezumas Castle, Wupatki, Keet Seel - or stumbled onto unmapped ones in the backcountry, you'll enjoy this book. I think anyone who has been to an Anasazi site has come away with more questions than answers and Roberts has these same thoughts. He also speaks to the divergent and controversial theories regarding Anasazi history and the current state of protection status for many of these places. Good, and thought-provoking stuff.

-Nealz
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/10/2005, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why, thank you Nealz.

I want to shine!
PageRob

PostPosted: 8/10/2005, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excelent book, I find myself reading it often, especially after some journeys into the wilderness. He's very intelligent. He's also got a new book out about the Pueblo Revolt and its leader Pope'. I've read a couple of his other books and have always enjoyed his style.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 8/11/2005, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
Excelent book, I find myself reading it often

Yes me too, in fact I liked it so much I will be going very soon to one of areas he talked of and explored. The book has provided education and motivation, and I find it fun to know some of the inside story on a place before I visit. Glad you found that book, or rather, it found you!
Nealz

PostPosted: 8/12/2005, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
He's also got a new book out about the Pueblo Revolt and its leader Pope'..

Hey, I'm reading that one right now. Good so far. Very interesting spin on the only successful routing of europeans by native Americans. Lots of common sense theories regarding the tenuous relationship between Pueblo and Anglo/Hispanic people today as well.

-Nealz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: