ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tripod Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/2/2005, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Tripod Help Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Everybody,

I'm looking for a regular size lightweight tri-pod, of course it would be for hiking and backpacking so it would need to be lightweight. I have a Canon SD400 camera that only weighs like 5oz. so the tripod doesn't need to support much weight.

Here are a few I have come across:
http://www.digitallyunique.com/compact-xl.html
http://www.digitallyunique.com/compact-sxl.html
http://www.digitallyunique.com/620-465d.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=240092&is=REG

Any suggestions out there?
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/3/2005, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim the first three with 4 section legs are worth a look but the last one with 8 section legs, I would stay clear of. I would bet that one is not near as stable. If there is any good photographic supply store up that way with some of these light tripods, you should go check out how stable they are compared to each other.

One good method to get a sharp image on a tripod at slow shutter speeds and without a cable release is to use the self-timer. That way you don't bump it when pushing the shutter button.
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 7/3/2005, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Almost any tripod will stabilize a camera that light. Velbon and Sunpak come to mind. But stay away from the all-plastic one-piece head/tripod bargain-basement 'pods, they don't hold up very well. You might prefer a small ballhead to a pan-and-tilt, try both and see what you think. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=366413&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation[/url]
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/3/2005, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good advice on the self-timer, I tried that attempting to use my trekking pole as a mono-pod. Needed a tri-pod though.

TIM
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/4/2005, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have tried trekking poles as well Tim and they only work well in bright light for me. Watch out for tripods that are too wimpy. Though they will support your camera weight, any light wind will affect them and if you hold them down, even your heartbeat can be transmitted to the camera to some extent. You know what I mean if you have ever shot a scoped rifle. That is the test in the biathlon where the skier must get his heartbeat down to hit well.

Some people try hanging a weight off the tripod but I find that a pain.
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 7/6/2005, 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never seen a tripod light enough for backpacking that isn't affected by wind. It's a question of compromise. I presume that with a 5 oz. camera, weight is important, and that beanbags and tabletop tripods haven't worked for you.

Adding weight to the tripod can make a lightweight tripod much steadier, if you know where to place the weight. First, keep the center column, if so equipped, fully retracted. Try to keep the pod out of direct wind if possible, if not, raise it only as high as needed to get the shot. Brace the legs with rocks, then add some weight to steady the tripod. Don't place the weight high, under the center of the pod, as some people do, as it actually makes the tripod less stable. Instead, carry three empty ziploc or stuff bags. When you set up, fill the bags with sand or rocks and tie them low to the legs.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the Ultrapod II available at campmor.com. It's not full sized, but it it light and it has a velcro lashing strap so you can strap it to a tree, it strap it to your treking pole and use it as a monopod. It'a a very stable little tripod. And it's only like $12.

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought a cheap one at Wal Mart and it has served me well for the last five years, and if it gets broken or damaged, well another one for less than twenty bucks, but it hold up well, and does the job. No, it isn't superlightweight but it works, if you want lightweight try the carbon fiber models, they are lightweight but since I have never used one and didn't feel like investing a lot of money in this equipment I opted for the more economical route and it works good enough for me. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: