ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Water issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 3/26/2003, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Water issue Reply to topic Reply with quote

Continuing the on again off again discussion on environmentalism...ran across this today...thought I'd share. It has been translated from Russian (via Pravda) so the grammar isn't great...

Water Crisis Likely to Happen on Earth This Century

Russia is a few of the countries of the world, which does not have a fresh water law

Experts provide rather pessimistic forecasts about the situation with water on the planet. According to experts’ estimates, wars for water might happen in Africa in the current century. One-third of the planet’s population lives under the condition of a strong lack of fresh water. Eight billion people will fall victims of the water crisis in 25 years.

The water issue is very actual nowadays. The UN conference for environment and development, which took place in Rio de Janeiro in 1992, ruled that the year 2003 would be announced the International year of the fresh water. March 22 was announced the World Water Day. Experts believe that the world needs to have something like a water-saving revolution: new technologies, which allow to economize water. Up to six thousand people, basically children in developing countries, die of bad quality water daily. Twenty five thousand people more die every year on account of microbes that they drink with fresh water. This was said in a conclusion that was made by a group of United Nations experts.

The authors of the report, which was prepared for the World forum for water resources (the forum is to take place in Kyoto in Mach), believe that the global warming and the growth of the population will make the water issue even more serious. However, there is something optimistic about the issue too. Water purifying operations, which were performed in several rivers of the United States and Europe, allowed to improve the ecology of those rivers a lot. Prior to those operations, the rivers were polluted a lot. When the operations were over, fish started spawning there again. More than 250 million people were provided with good quality water treating facilities in South Asia.

Speaking of Russia, it is generally believed that the Russian Federation enjoys abundant water resources. Russia took the second position at the latest UN environmental conference in South African Republic. The world economic community is supposed to take into consideration the fact that Russia is responsible for the safety of global ecosystems. Up to 20% of global fresh water reserves are located on the Russian territory.

The situation with water in Russia is the best in Moscow. An average Muscovite consumes 380 liters of water a day – this is the world record. This norm is a lot lower in European countries – 120-150 liters. The cost of water on earth is comparable to the cost of petrol, although the water in Russia costs about one ruble per cubic meter (about three cents). However, the Moscow government has managed to decrease water supplies to the Russian capital by 15% over recent years. The company Moscow Water Channel announced that they had a goal to bring the daily water consumption down to the level of 250 liters per capita. This goal is to be achieved by 2010. The control over the quality of the Moscow water is conducted by the joint Russian-French concern ROSA (Dew). The history of Moscow water supply system does not know any epidemic that was caused with water. However, one should not forget that the chlorine constituent in the Russian fresh water is 2.5 times as much as in the USA and 12 times as much as in Western Europe. Chlorine is a Russian way to save people from dirt in the water.

At times, Muscovites complain of smelling something really bad in the water. This is explained with the fact that Moscow agricultural organizations used water wash systems to wash away manure during the Soviet period. This problem is a lot more serious in other cities of Russia. In St.Petersburg, for example, about 20% of waste water is discharged in the Neva river without any purifying procedures – one million cubic meters a day. In South Ural, in the Volga region, in the Kemerovo region, it is strongly recommended to boil water before drinking it. A factory that produces cast iron pipes appeared in Russia not so long ago (in the city of Lipetsk). Cast iron pipes were used before the revolution and they are still fine. Post-war pipes are all eaten with corrosion.

The number of dangerous water tests dropped in Russia considerably over the recent decade. It basically happened on account of the industrial crisis in the country. Water treatment facilities have not been a big issue in Russia for many years already: nobody either builds or repairs them. Ecologists are certain that the epidemic risk will increase a lot after the industrial growth starts. By the way, Russia is one of the few countries, which does not have a fresh water law.

"The Journey is the Destination"
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/26/2003, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In my opinion, God had it all figured out... and I believe there we will never run out of the resources we need - The deep oil wells are replenishing themselves, there is no less water on earth now than there was at creation.

Some Desalinization plants and a few pipelines.... Issue resolved, There is plenty of water, its just a matter of spending the money to get it to the people.

I'm ready for my beating now........
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/27/2003, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm ready for my beating now........

Wow! Cakewalk - way to speak out. You may get a beating - but I think that (knowing that you're likely to get a beating) it takes a certain amount of courage to state your views so plainly.

Well done, and I agree with you for the most part (he said somewhat meekly).

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/27/2003, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
there is no less water on earth now than there was at creation

This is indeed a proven well documented fact, and well known in the water world. There is no less fresh water now than then. It just doesn't always get dispersed in the areas of greatest need.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/27/2003, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm with Cakewalk on this one.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/28/2003, 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree with you for the most part

I sort of addressed this in the posts about Lake Powell - and I think my final comments in that section will relate just fine to this forum

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
azrocks

PostPosted: 3/31/2003, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Muscovites are the world champion water wasters ? What's the US coming
to ? We waste more of everything than anyone. Actually, I see Paradise valley
tops Moscow's measly 380 with a manly 2000 liters a day, 1300 in Phoenix.
Also, it takes 75,000 liters of water to raise one pound of western beef.
I was in Arivaca Creek yesterday and we wondered, is Arivaca spanish for
dry cow ?
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/31/2003, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats why Florida (yes, Florida) leads the nation in beef production. Last I heard, only six percent of the beef production comes from the Rocky Mountain States. I'd prefer they not come from our wilderness areas. But, no way I'm going vegan...a meal's not a meal unless something died for my plate...

Were you down near Ruby? Haven't been around that area for years. Good javalina country, dunno 'bout cows there.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/31/2003, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

75000 liters per pound of beef?!? Surely you jest. Cattle gain about 3 pounds per day and depending on size will consume up to 82 kg of water per day. Maybe the 75000 includes water to grow the grasses and to shape the hills and canyons. Please, who published that figure? Was it from California when they were seeking to take Arizona's portion of the Colorado river water? I got my number for daily consumption from http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/engineer/facts/86-053.htm The weight gain I remember from raising cattle as a kid.
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/1/2003, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lets look at this logically.

I'm going to assume that a beef cow goes to the butcher at 5 years old and yields 500 pounds of beef. If anyone knows the real numbers please correct me.

In order for the 75,000 liters per 1 pound of beef to be correct, based on the above assumptions, a beef cow will use 3,750,000 liters of water in it's life time. Or 20,500 liters per day, or 900 liters per hour, or 14 liters per minute, or 1/4 liter every second! I've never measured the water intake capabilities of a cow, but I'm not sure this would be possible.

Also, cows urinate on the ground. The urine is filtered by the ground and ends up in wells, rivers, and some evaporates and becomes rain. Does the 75,000 liters per pound take this into account?

Off the top of my head I can't remember who said it, but some famous scientest said energy is conserved. By this he ment that there is an amount of energy in the world and we never use it, we only convert it to different forms of energy. The same is true for water. The water used to make that Pepsi you had at lunch today was probably, at some point in time, places you would not want to drink from.

Drink and enjoy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: