ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Benefits of Dark Chocolate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/17/2005, 12:58 pm    Post subject: The Benefits of Dark Chocolate Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bouncing Flashing Multi Ok Woo Hoo! Chuckle Applause Agree
The South Beach Diet Daily Dish wrote:
The Benefits of Dark Chocolate

Good news for chocolate lovers — a study published in the March issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that eating dark chocolate can decrease blood pressure and lower the risk of developing diabetes in healthy individuals.

Chocolate is one of a number of foods containing antioxidant-rich compounds known as flavonoids. Flavonoids, which have been shown to help improve heart health, are present in a variety of fruits (citrus fruits, grapes, and blueberries) and vegetables (onions and broccoli), as well as red wine and green and black tea.

The study looked at the effects of adding dark and white chocolate to the daily diets of healthy individuals. Researchers found that eating dark chocolate reduced insulin resistance while significantly lowering blood pressure. No such result was observed for white chocolate — not too surprising since white chocolate is made without cocoa and therefore does not contain flavonoids.

Doctors don't know exactly how much dark chocolate you need to reap these health benefits, but for the purposes of The South Beach Diet™, it's best not to overdo it. Starting in Phase 2, try dipping four to five strawberries in dark chocolate, or limit yourself to one to two dark chocolate wedges as an occasional treat. Keep in mind that milk chocolate, made by diluting cocoa with milk, does not contain as many flavonoids as dark chocolate.

BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/17/2005, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I particulary enjoyed that Ethel M masterpiece last night and now think I'll have another. I guess those M&Ms I throw in when making trail mix are good for you too. Mr. Green
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 5/17/2005, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Chocoooooolate Cool
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 5/17/2005, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is it just me or do "flavonoids" sound made up?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/17/2005, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?query=flavonoids&action=Search+OMD

http://my.webmd.com/search/search_results/?query=flavonoids&filter=mywebmd_all_filter

http://www.chocolateinfo.com/cf/cf_article_06.jsp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: