ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
No more access to Aravaipa from the east

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 3/30/2005, 10:26 am    Post subject: No more access to Aravaipa from the east Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
By Mitch Tobin
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

KLONDYKE - For 47 days, tourists from as far away as Africa and Germany have driven nearly 50 miles on dusty dirt roads to reach Aravaipa Canyon - only to find a locked gate barring entry to one of the Southwest's natural jewels.

The gate and the hand-drawn "No Trespassing!" signs are Norma Tapia's. She'll let you through if you pay $25, or better yet, listen to her complaints about how authorities have handled allegations of juvenile sex crimes in this outpost, 60 miles northeast of Tucson.

Tapia's 15-year-old son has been in a Mesa detention center for eight months after he pleaded guilty in 2002 to molesting a 6-year-old local boy. But Tapia said the sheriff hasn't pursued another area youth who sexually abused her son for five years and made him into a molester.

"They ignored me, I'm tired of it and I want some action taken," said Tapia, a 41-year-old American Indian whose family has lived here since 1881.

Graham County Sheriff Frank Hughes said his agency looked into Tapia's allegations about the neighbor, but "there wasn't enough there to justify charges."

Hughes' department is now investigating claims that Tapia threatened people with a gun Saturday. Tapia said she only had her snub-nosed .38 by her hip when she confronted visitors who busted open her gate.

Graham County officials disapprove of the gate, but they don't think Tapia is breaking the law since it's on her private land. The Bureau of Land Management and some area residents believe Tapia is blocking a public road and may sue her to restore access to the canyon.

In the meantime, the BLM has stopped issuing permits to the east end of Aravaipa, a gash in the Galiuro Mountains with endangered fish in its perennial creek, coatimundi in its riparian forests and bighorn sheep in its cactus-studded uplands.

Read the rest here.

Editorial comment: Should landowners be able to do whatever they want with their property? Who benefits in this case?
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/30/2005, 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but if your land blocks access to public property I believe you are required to provide an easement.
This case might be different since it's BLM land and not really public land???

PostPosted: 3/30/2005, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BLM land is public land (BLM is a federal government agency).

And I also thought that roads through private lands have to be open to the public, but maybe not? On Forest Service lands, there are lots and lots of roads that pass through inholdings (usually you see the no tresspassing signs along the road in these spots). This could set a disturbing precedent if people start closing roads or holding out for money to keep roads open.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 3/30/2005, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

While at the Klondyke store a few weeks ago, the owner and several ranchers discussed the " gate" issue. Bottom line, probably an old ranch road thru mostly private land developed later on as access to Aravaipa and others, the county maintains it, but the wheels of the government will turn very slowly.
Don't look for it to open anytime soon.
Look for more vandalism in and around that gate though.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/30/2005, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The question of declining access across private property via easements, has been a long running issue in Tucson. There are a couple old, rarely-used, THs above Campbell that developers have attempted to fence a few times. Eventually, they might succeed just because no hikers challenge them anymore.

The land belongs to everyone, but vested interests will continue to try to prevent access.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/30/2005, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
I'm not an expert, but if your land blocks access to public property I believe you are required to provide an easement.
This case might be different since it's BLM land and not really public land???
In Tucson, the legal precedents are mixed. There is no default requirement. However, landholdings of native Americans are generally an exception.

In Chicago, skyscrapers are still built in accordance with Native American rights to access paths to lake Michigan to launch canoes.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/31/2005, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I said it's not really public because it's only open to the public via a very limited number of permits. It probably still is considered public but it's very possible the legalities of the issue is different because it's BLM land and not State Park, Nat Forest...

Either way, the BLM simply needs to check to see if there was ever an agreement for an easement. If there was, they need to enforce it, otherwise they can claim eminent domain and simply take it (and don't need to pay for it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: