ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
fendleroc

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 2:15 am    Post subject: GPS Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello,

I'd like to buy a gps for hiking in utah - trail like the wave - as well as finding my way in big cities. I wonder which one in the garmin stuff is the best?

Thanks
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome

I finally broke down and added a GPS to my magnetized steel. Mr. Green Still I will not go out without the tried and true compass but this new GPS is amazing. I also suggest having a paper map with you as well. I use the Nat'l Geo Topo for detailed 1:24000 printable maps of the individual states.

I chose the Garmin Etrex Legend Color. The batteries seem to last forever and it has 24MB of memory which while is not overly much it is better than the 8 that comes with the B&W version. I download maps from the Garmin Topo software which allows me to create waypoints and routes on the the computer and transfer everything to the unit. The color maps are very nice. You can see your progress across the desert, up a hill, wherever you go. It tells you your bearing, your exact position, your speed and you can playback your track as well.

The 1:100,000 topo software of America is really cool. You can save any combination of maps to download at any time. Get it at the same time as you get you GPS if you get a model that will take the uploads.

I paid $289 for the GPS and $79 for the software Here This is a Garmin approved site and they deliver fast. Always go to the Garmin website for updates to both your GPS unit and your software. They keep up on that pretty good.

Good luck in your search. I am very pleased with mine.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you want to see any of the garmin models in action you can swing by either one of the REIs. They have almost all the models available on display with batteries in them so you can play with the various features.
fendleroc

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for your information. I think I'll buy Garmin eTrex Vista C GPS. It's got several features for just $50 more. Furthermore the screen's brigther.

How long doest it take to get used to those gps?

Louis
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fendleroc wrote:

How long doest it take to get used to those gps?

Louis

It is not near as intuative as my complexe Canon camera and I found the manual somewhat lacking. Still it does come fairly quickly. I was up and running fully in about two days of playing with it, map software and all. The local shops usually have someone who is really knowlegable if you run into any problems. Service does count. You are going to like that GPS you chose.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd recommend you investigate GPS units that have a compact flash (CF) or secure digital (SD) slot. If you're going to use the unit for navigating streets and also for hiking, you can easily store both types of maps on the memory card.

The Garmin City Select maps (They are phasing out City Select and phasing in their latest and greatest) are very good. In fact, for road navigation, they are by far the easiest and most intuitive that I've used. Their Topo USA is much better, in my opinion than any of the competition. I've used 2 others, including NG TOPO! and find the Garmin product easier to use and is very accurate, at least for my limited experience. I've used these products on my iPAQ and am very happy with them. In fact, if you have a PDA with a compact flash slot, a very good solution is their cfQue product. Alternately, if you have a PDA with Bluetooth, Garmin has a Bluetooth GPS. I haven't used Garmin's, but have another brand that I'm very happy with. They seem to be more sensitive than the other products that I've personally.

Unfortunately, the Garmin products use a proprietary interface to their software, so you can't buy someone else's hardware and use it with the Garmin software. You can, however, use other software (that's NMEA compliant) with the newer Garmin GPS units. Some of them have a Garmin/NMEA switch. Bottom line is, if you stick with the Garmin brand, you'll pay more up front but their products are very solid and well integrated. IMHO
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and as far as updates, I just found a new version for my Garmin Etrex Legend C that came out two days ago. I am updated to that version now.

Even Nat'l Geo Topo has updates that really enhance the works for them as well. Used to you had to put CD #1 in for any state to give you the CD# you actually needed. The current updated version tells right off with no need for CD#1 anymore.
Adventurer

PostPosted: 3/20/2005, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wide World of Maps offers a Gps class. I took it a couple years ago and it is very informative. I had a Garmin legend Gps and was very satusfied with the performance. I dropped last week on the Bluff Spring trail last week unfortunately.
I will probably replace it with their new foretrax 100 that you can where on your wrist.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/20/2005, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I liked the Vista (non-color) for the first six months I had it and it was dead on accurate but after many trips it was becoming less accurate and adding lots of miles. I ended up taking it back on getting a Fortrex 101. It has the basic features I wanted which is mainly time, distance, average speed, altitude. It has a small screen with a map which I'm sure you could use if you were lost, but I wouldn't buy the Foretrex if your going to be using the map a lot. It's also small and has wrist attachment and has great battery life.

TIM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: