ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
SUPES TRAIL ROADS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger

PostPosted: 2/9/2005, 5:13 pm    Post subject: SUPES TRAIL ROADS Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will be out in the Gold Canyon area on Sat. to see a client and was going to take advantage to do a little hiking. (yes even in the rain) My question is for all those easterners (Heat, Trish,HIG, CK1,JW, etc), what are the road conditions like in the rain for the "southern" trailheads (peralta, roger's canyon, etc) FR177, FR72. I have a sedan or can take the van.

roger
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/9/2005, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First Water should be good.

If it rains three inches or so you may need high clearance for Peralta where it crosses the washes.

If it rains three inches Rogers Trough will be inacessable.
Rogers took it in the shorts from the last storm and I highly doubt they have had the money to rebuild it , no chance in a car anymore even in perfect conditions.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/9/2005, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger,

I was just at First Water this past Sunday and the road was the best I've seen it in years. My little Ford Fungus tooled along at 30 MPH and as hard as I tried, I couldn't break anything Laughing

I think you'll be fine on that road this weekend, even with the heavy rain that's expected. You'll probably just have to slow down a bit for the washes.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
roger

PostPosted: 2/9/2005, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heat, Trish

Thanks for the info, my first choice is Peralta area, but I may have to settle for 1st Water.

roger
terricita10

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was just at Peralta yesterday and it was perfectly dry, a little washboardy. But not bad, vans and cars were on it. "Course" if it rains, like Heat said, there will be water in the washes.

Terri
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was on Peralta Mon/Tues and the Cartoon Car survived OK. However, three inches of water would make a couple places risky. But that applies to First Water, too. Maybe consider hiking from Broadway TH.

Hi Cactuscat :)

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:
Maybe consider hiking from Broadway TH.

Good sugestion.

Lost Dutchman State Park and the Jacob's Crosscut trailhead (about a half mile in on the road to Firstwater TH) should also be easily accessable after the rains.

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does the Broadway trailhead only hook up to the crosscut trail??? or are there other trails off of this TH.

What would the hieroglyphics trail and that canyon be like in the rain???

roger
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The glyph trail would be a peice of cake in the rain, all the roads to that trailhead are paved or well maintained. If you got out there during an actual rain storm, some of the falls would be spectacular.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hieroglyphic trail would be fine to the rock art. If you planned on hiking from there to the ridgeline up the drainage it would be very difficult with any large amount of water flowing and the drainage is the best access to the top far and away. It can be done otherwise though
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger,

I'm trying to remember if they have completed the Lost Goldmine Trail from Broadway TH to the intersection of Hieroglyphics. Heat or JW can you verify this? If they haven't you'd be doing all off trail all the way. I do know that Lost Goldmine is complete from Hieroglyphic to Peralta. So another option would be to hike to the 'glyphs and then back (3 miles) then to Peralta (?5.5 miles one way) and back.

I do know that accessing the Supes from the Broadway TH is NOT my favorite route. Trail is very rocky.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

roger wrote:
Does the Broadway trailhead only hook up to the crosscut trail??? or are there other trails off of this TH.
There are other use trails not on the maps in the area of the TH. Even some faint pieces of an old wagon road. Mostly, the trails resulted from cowboys, homesteaders and prospectors. But there is evidence of ancient peoples and their routes as well. PM me if you want to go look in a cool cave.
roger wrote:
What would the hieroglyphics trail and that canyon be like in the rain???
matt gilbert wrote:
The glyph trail would be a peice of cake in the rain, all the roads to that trailhead are paved or well maintained. If you got out there during an actual rain storm, some of the falls would be spectacular.
Aye, I was lucky enough to see some of those falls last Autumn. Very cool!
Arizonaheat wrote:
Hieroglyphic trail would be fine to the rock art. If you planned on hiking from there to the ridgeline up the drainage it would be very difficult with any large amount of water flowing and the drainage is the best access to the top far and away. It can be done otherwise though
Aye again. The rock art is a treasure and the flowing waters are evidence of how the water shaped the rock, and it's impression shows in the art works of those ancient artists. Yea, Heat, there's a couple ways and it can be done otherwise, but should we...? (OK, never mind, dude. I know the answer... and yes, I haven't finished 'em all, yet...).

Accessing the ridgeline via that canyon in the rain would present a couple challenges (OMG, I wish I could take a couple days, right now, Heat and Roger...), anyway, I would over-night. There are a few neat camp spots not far west along the ridgeline, but it would be "...rain, and wind, and weather...up there - be prepared :))

The ridgeline calls me and seeing it every morn on my way to work, sure influences my work-motivation...sometimes I get too sick to work... :))

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:

There are a few neat camp spots not far west along the ridgeline, but it would be "...rain, and wind, and weather...up there - be prepared
Aye! I've camped in one those spots (late november, 2001) and it was one of the longest, windiest nights I've ever spent in the wild! We woke up the next morning to light snow! This was on the saddle in that very obvious notch above Hiero. Canyon. I need to find the cd with the photos from that trip...
ck1

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd suggest you hit Massacre Grounds. It''d be a longer hike because the car wouldn't make it to the fence, but from the first parking area on the First Water road, you can make your way over to the Massacre Grounds trail, and if it rains like it is supposed to, the falls over there will be flowing.

Just a suggestion...

"The Journey is the Destination"
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 2/10/2005, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know it's a bit far north of your intended destination but as long as we're talking about waterfalls, the siphon draw trail is pretty neat in the rain. Once you get up to the draw there are all kinds of neat falls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: