ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Upper Horell Trailhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 2/4/2005, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Upper Horell Trailhead Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone know of you need a hig clearance vehicle to get to the Upper Horrell trailhead in the eastern supes?

-=db=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/4/2005, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last time I was there was last year, but I'd want high clearance for the last mile or two. It definitely was 2WD territory, though.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
fritzski

PostPosted: 2/4/2005, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going from memory here, but I'd have to recommend high clearance and 4X4.

It is a good road all the way back to the ranch complex at the confluence of the Pinto and Horrel Creeks. That flood area was a mess from the fallen gate northward past the ranch (road nonexistent). However to get to the west bound road #305 (no signs) I think you access it just prior to the wash area. The road itself was pretty good, but had a couple totally washed out spots and I would imagine after the rains this year it could even be worse. Near the end I actually four-wheeled through a creek bed to get to the trailhead proper. All old dillapidated and fallen signs showing extreme low usage.

Good luck!
ghoster

PostPosted: 2/5/2005, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was there in December, it was fine except for two spots, and a two wheel drive pick up truck a compact made it but for safety I would want a high clearance vehicle, we bottomed out on one crossing. After the latest rains I am not sure. But, the two wheel was able to make it to the trail head. The Cuff button trail runs across the road from the Horrel trailhead also, so you get two choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: