ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Whiskey Spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 1/18/2005, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Whiskey Spring Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is there a good place to camp at Whiskey Spring in the Supes? The trail is number 238 and it connect Miner's Summit with La Barge Canyon.

-=db=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HUM469

PostPosted: 1/18/2005, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, I just hiked through there the other day, and there is a beautiful little spot there. It is very shaded right now, and would fit maybe 2-3 tents (or 4-5 hammocks! Very Happy ) The water is running, and the grass is green (in the Sups, what the...?). All in all a neat little spot in which I would have stopped if we did not need to make a couple more miles that day. Have fun when you get there, and send pictures when you get back!
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/18/2005, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DB: Yes, there is enough room for several tents on the west side of the drainage near Whiskey Springs. Seems that forsome reason it rains everytime I'm there (just like Cap'n Heat), and the wind tends to whip up and down the drainage. To deal with that, I recommend pitching any tents, tarps or bivys perpendicular to the canyon.

It's ok, but more spectacular scenery is available downstream. Upper LaBarge Box is less than a mile downhill from there. There are some places to camp along the banks of LaBarge Canyon near the junction of the Whiskey Springs Trail with the Red Hills (or is it Red Tanks, I don't recall?) trail that runs thru LaBarge. Also some nice spots up Trap Canyon a ways. Trap is about 1/2 mile down LaBarge Canyon. This trail can be part of a nice loop, going in on the Dutchman from Peralta TH to LaBarge Srping, then east to the Whiskey Spring Trail and uphill back to Miner's Summit. The trail sign for Whiskey Springs junction may be gone. It was pretty far down into the drainage, and the runoff may have snatched it.

If you end up near the upper box, it's well worth the few extra minutes to hike up the trail to the "summit" of the box where the trail then drops back down to the Hooli Bacon Trail. The views of waterfalls and pools in the box are great. -R
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/18/2005, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind is that the flow at Whiskey Spring was minimal to say the least. I would not depend on it for water. However, if you are going soon you will be able to find water in pools etc. La Barge and Charlebois Springs are dependable as is Bluff, don't bank on Whiskey especially when it is dry and hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: