ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiking is good for you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 11:14 am    Post subject: Hiking is good for you! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Under the subheading of "Duh!" Comes a report on the benefits of hiking downhill that is actually quite interesting.

Key quote:
Quote:
A novel study of hikers in the Alps made the intriguing discovery that different types of exercise had different effects on fats and sugars in the blood.

Going uphill cleared fats from the blood faster, going downhill reduced blood sugar more, and hiking either way lowered bad cholesterol.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And I thought it was only good for my mental health... Wink
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know what there talking about. I gained 15 lbs since I started hiking.

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

Must be all the beer, Tim Rolling Eyes
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beer?
Say What?

Oh yeah this stuff!
Beer

Doh!
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

It's muscle mass.... right? Ok
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh yeah it's a "6-Pack" alright.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiking is good for you! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

Key quote:
Quote:
A novel study of hikers in the Alps made the intriguing discovery that different types of exercise had different effects on fats and sugars in the blood.

Going uphill cleared fats from the blood faster, going downhill reduced blood sugar more, and hiking either way lowered bad cholesterol.

I usually end up hiking both ways on my adventures. When I only hike up or down, my blood sugar or lipid level will be the last of my worries. Shocked

Oops, I posted too quickly. I just read the article and do see some applications. The stairmaster in the gym allows you to hike up without having to hike down. I suppose someone could use an escalator to hike down without hiking up.

I'll just continue hiking both ways as long as I can and enjoy both benefits. Smile
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lately, all the trails I've been hiking seem to be uphill.....both ways! 'specially the loop trails! Crazy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Oh yeah it's a "6-Pack" alright.

Better than a 'kegger' fer sure!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Lately, all the trails I've been hiking seem to be uphill.....both ways! 'specially the loop trails! Crazy

"And when I was a youngster I walked 15 miles to school...up-hill...both ways...in 7 ft of snow...barefoot...with shattered glass from the bottle factory as pavement...and when we were hungry we ate dirt...and we were THANKFUL for that dirt...Yes, sir!...cause even though it had broken glass and rat droppings, it was still better than the dirt my parents had...they didn't even have dirt...and I worked 15 hours a day digging ditches for one penny per day...and I was GRATEFUL for that penny....cause after one month of work I could go out and buy a new shovel....that way we could keep diggin' ditches...cause if'n we didn't then we'd just have to go back to school...and nobody wanted to make that trek...up-hill...both ways...in 7ft of snow...................."

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
evenstar wrote:

"And when I was a youngster I walked 15 miles to school...up-hill...both ways...in 7 ft of snow...barefoot...with shattered glass from the bottle factory as pavement...and when we were hungry we ate dirt...and we were THANKFUL for that dirt...Yes, sir!...cause even though it had broken glass and rat droppings, it was still better than the dirt my parents had...they didn't even have dirt...and I worked 15 hours a day digging ditches for one penny per day...and I was GRATEFUL for that penny....cause after one month of work I could go out and buy a new shovel....that way we could keep diggin' ditches...cause if'n we didn't then we'd just have to go back to school...and nobody wanted to make that trek...up-hill...both ways...in 7ft of snow...................."

How'd you know that?????
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/10/2005, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:

You've been talking with my dad! Laughing Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: