ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 1:35 am    Post subject: Joshua Tree Rock Climbing School Reply to topic Reply with quote

We had our two day rock climbing course at JTree last weekend, and it was awesome! The instructors were great and we learned quite a bit; we actually climbed 6 or 7 routes, the best of which was "Nobody Walks In L.A." (5.8+). I also really enjoyed "Nutcracker" (5.2) and "False Lieback" (5.4). Misty and I were by far the best climbers in the class, because all the others were brand new to the sport, but by the second day they were doing pretty well and finishing most of the climbs. Climbing in the gym definitely helps, but it's a lot different (and scarier) on real rocks! It felt great to conquer the fear and reach the top - it makes me feel like a badass! The only problem is that now all we want to do is climb - we're considering quitting our jobs and moving to Joshua Tree to become full-time climbing bums. Smile Also, to correct something I had wrong in my earlier JTree post - the awesome gear store is called "Nomad Ventures" - not JTree Outfitters. We also found our new favorite restaurant - "Royal Siam"; all you can eat Thai buffet for $8 - just the thing after a day on the rocks! I also got a new digital camera for my birthday, so I'll post some pics as soon as I have time to figure out how.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kelly, sounds like a great time, way to go!!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool. Congratulations on your success. J-Tree is great for climbing. I've done 2 of the routes that you mentioned and the Thai resturant totally ROCKS! Check out the Arizona Mountaineering club, they have organized climbs. Mary
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh wow! I would love to try my little hands and feet at some rock climbing some day. Sounds like an excellent time! Glad you had so much fun!

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just want to get over there. It's easy to see why you would want to live there.

We had a Kofa trip planned for this week but it was rudely cut off by a pipe breaking in our slab. Shocked I have three plumbers here now and am about dead from trench digging. No Leonids, no solitude, no magic Kofa Sad . I will live vicariously through your adventure Kelly. It sounds perfect.
Andy

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That sound like a blast! I have done a little clinging to rocks with my fingers and discovered I suffer a little Acrophobia! Sad It would be great to overcome it! Waiting patiently for the photo's! Smile

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
cactuscat

PostPosted: 11/20/2004, 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photos are up in the gallery.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 11/20/2004, 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great pic's. That had to hurt bare foot on that granite! Ouch! I still remember my fingers bleeding. Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: