ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bouldering at Joshua Tree N.P.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonediesel

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife and I just got back from Joshua Tree NP a few days ago. It was pretty cold and windy at night but during the day it was beautiful hiking weather. On the peaks the wind was pretty harsh. A windbreaker will be needed. Bring the sunscreen too. There is not much for water in the park so plan to bring your own in. Great place to car camp. Dido Cactuscat on The Crossroads Cafe. A must stop is the Joshua Tree Saloon at the West entrance and St Rd 62. Nice hole in the wall saloon with great prices on firewater and such. There are some nice surprises hanging from the ceiling for the guys. Shocked The JT NP visitors center has 7.5 min topos at a great price. I believe they were less than $8. At JT outfitters they were close to $10. The park has lots of old mining equipment lying around for the mining buffs. We saw lots of birds, lizzards, and a few coyotes. A coyote followed us about 10ft away begging for food for about 200 yards. Campsites posted in various books and internet sites say some camping is free but the park has just recently increased the camping fees to $5 at most sites and $10 at sites with water. There are only 2 camp areas that have water and a fill station at the visitor station. I was told the camp sites with water fill up quick so secure your spot early if you want water nearby. No showers that I could find in the park. There are not to many resources on the internet for JT NP. I found a good book at Summit Hut called Joshua Tree - the complete guide. It has great color photos and plenty of info about the park and its history. The other book I found with some trail info was a Falcon Guide: Hiking California's Desert Parks. As usual the Falcon guide has good info on trails. This is a great park to visit. In my opinon it didn't have the Zion or Canyon Lands WOW!! factor but very unique environment. We will be back to do the weekend rock climbing school. I will try to post a few pics....need help with this?
gonediesel

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I couldn't figure how to post pics. I guess permission is needed. I am a new member. If I have missed how to post please let me know. Thanks, GD
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Get Mikes attn, he will flip your switch!

I want to shine!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Get Mikes attn, he will flip your switch!

Done did... http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/album.php?a=albup99
Andy

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pics Gonediesel! Interesting old wrecks out there! Thanks for sharing! Smile

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: