ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
fly fishing/backpacking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
long ago

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 2:02 pm    Post subject: fly fishing/backpacking Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been a avid backpacker for many years but my new passion is fly fishing. Just wanted to know if some of you guys/gals like to combine both and were are a few of your favorite areas? I love the black river and have had a few trips around the bearwallow and snake creek area, also tick flats. Laughing
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just a question: where can I find a good quality rod/reel combo such as a six piece for packing? I saw an Orvis store over by the Kierland resort. Is that THE Orvis store?

what i do
long ago

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, that is a orvis store at kierland. Orvis makes very good rods and reels, you can't go wrong with orvis. Another store is at shea and scottsdale road called desert sportsman, formerly called scottdsdale flyfishing. They carry sage rods and again they make great stuff. Cabelas carries flyfishing outfits you may want to check them out on-line. I own both orvis and sage and would recomend both, both have high end lines down to entry level equipment. Laughing
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used a 9' sage at the Texas Hole at San Juan, and had an Eagle Claw rod of my own for the San Miguel and Delores rivers of Colorado , but never a super quality rod. I am willing to spend $400 on a rod alone, and maybe $150 on a reel. Go bamboo!!

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There was some insightful discussion on this subject here >>

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1285&highlight=backpacking+fly+fishing

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Sparrish

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Backpack/Fishing Places Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've not used I fly rod, but I've fished while backpacking, using a 4pc 5' Eagle Claw pack rod and a Zebco 33. Panther Martin and Mepps spoons work well and Rapalla minnow lures are effective too. I've packed in rod, reel and frying pan to various places around the west and I imagine a fly fisherman would do as well or perhaps better than someone using spinners and minnow lures.

TOP PLACES
West Clear Creek, AZ. Easy access (relatively speaking) on the upper end with numerous camp spots along the stream. The middle section has nice fishing, but access is very difficult and travel limited by narrow slot canyon topography. In the upper section above Calloway Trail, I caught 57 trout in one day on mepps spinners--it was raining. The trout in the upper end are all wild as the falls about 15 miles downstream block any hatchery trout running up from Bullpen Ranch, near Camp Verde. Mix of brownies and bows inhabit a high country paradise. One of the most beautiful places in the state.

Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, CA. The East Carson River runs right through the middle of this Sierra Paradise (although the pumpkin cattle are still grazing due to grandfather clause in Wilderness Act) and the waters are full of brownies, cuts, bow, and grayling with some brookies too. No fishing above the falls and there are other protected areas but I've always had good luck. Bull Lake is a mountain gem with fantastic camping and fishing just a few miles from the PCT. Great vistas and soul-refreshing beauty make this a worthwhile trip.

High Unintas, UT. The area from Moon Lake To Picture Lake was some of the best fishing I ever experienced. I got so tired of eating fish that the game evolved into trying to NOT catch a fish with each cast. We went in on horseback with two backpacks and were dropped off 18 miles in the back country at Clemments Lake and humped another 6 miles further into the wild at Picture Lake where the wrangler picked us up a week later. Picture Lake. More info at:
http://www.utahtrails.com/BrownDuck.html

Happy Fishing
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to mention once I used egg, beer and regular Pringles to cook the best trout batter Ive ever tasted at Ashurt lake. These were stockers, to boot. Other flavored Pringles would work as well with an interesting twist I guess.
thx, Cynhikr for that thread it was an interestin and upliftin re-read!

Sparrish, I'll buy a fly rod just to fish WCC with ya. Im thinkin the Maxwell trail to Willow Valley... sound good?

what i do
Sparrish

PostPosted: 10/8/2004, 5:11 am    Post subject: Maxwell to Willow Reply to topic Reply with quote

Name the time and I'm down. Willow has been good to me too.
grrlscout

PostPosted: 10/8/2004, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen some fly-fishing gear on Sierratradingpost.com (put "fishing" in the search box) . My jaw dropped when I saw the stuff going for "steal of a deal" at $300-$500. I thought, who would shell out that kinda dough for that gear?

Now I know. Wink

ps if any ladies are interesting in flyfishing ... there's a club down in phoenix:

The Dame Juliana Anglers
http://devpros.com/dja/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/8/2004, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and Sierra claims that everthing they sell is 30-70% off!! I use them quite often, thanks for the link Grrl, its awesome that women have a club. I would dare to say that the women anglers have a better edge over us guys because a) they are patient, and b) they have great detailing skills that could be used for things like fly-tying. (if you dont believe this, see my version of a "clean" kitchen compared to my wife's) Very Happy

what i do
Sparrish

PostPosted: 10/8/2004, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Carson River Link Reply to topic Reply with quote

Flyfishingconnection.com sez:
"This river changes faces and attitudes depending on seasonal snow pack melt faster then Madonna changes boyfriends! Unless your used to slipping and sliding along river edges, bring along a wading staff as this zone can get quite dangerous to wade depending on draught conditions. Access to the upper river stretch can be difficult in big snow pack years. Carson Falls acts as a barrier keeping remaining Paiute strain from mixing with other species. The water above Carson Falls is closed to all fishing (checking special regulations here is most important) Below Carson Falls and the area upstream from Wolf Creek is most difficult to reach and least fished. Hatchery trucks never leave tire marks in this area and the native rainbows and browns live free of genetic intervention. Buying a good recent topo map or hiring a savvy guide is the way to fly here."
Check this link:
http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/cacarsoneastfork.html

I've been through the area from Wolf to the falls Yep, it's a swimmer! and one season, I descended the stream all the way to Wolf Creek from the Sonora Pass area. The time to go is fall, after Labor Day.
long ago

PostPosted: 10/15/2004, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike
if you are looking for a 6-7 piece flyrod or combo overstock.com has a few in stock, check them out Cool
good luck fishing west clear creek area give us a report Wink
jeeperaz

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Cabelas Stowaway is a great rod for the price. I have the 5 piece and it is plenty packable. For the money it's a very good deal.

Of course the finish isnt going to be like a Winston or Sage but it is $600 cheaper.

If you are looking to buy local then try http://www.azflyfishing.com/

His shop is probably the most well known and respected in the local fly fishing community.

Anyone interested in an extended backpacking/fly fishing trip to the Black next spring?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: