ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Alone in the Wilderness on PBS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 10/24/2004, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Alone in the Wilderness on PBS Reply to topic Reply with quote

I happened to catch this awesome documentary on PBS called 'Alone in the Wilderness' about a man named Richard Proenneke that lived in a remote area of Alaska near Lake Clark in the late 60's.The show documented his first season there. Most of the footage is the actual stuff shot at the time
( like old time family movies) and it is quite amazing all the things he did to make his life out there complete. He did some very ingenius stuff. This was long before lightweight gear, Camelbaks, and microfleece. He was a true wilderness adventurer and it several pieces of footage he is shown packing out a full carcass of a big horn sheep on his back, loads of wood and rocks which he built a chimney with by hand. There was already an established cabin there, he just prepped it for permanent residence. He even made a cache which was like a mini log cabin up on tall poles to keep his food from the bears. It also shows him hiking all the time, often at high altitudes with just his pole and his binoculars, and also in sub zero temps with his hand made snowshoes and sled. I found this show to be truly entertaining and this man totally in synch with the land and the wildlife. He did get occasional visits and supply drops from a bush pilot friend who chose to check on him every now and then. Not sure if they are playing it again soon, it is not on their upcoming schedule, but it is SO worth watching if anyone happens to come across it. There is a book available called 'One Mans Wilderness' , I saw it on amazon. It is in his words and from all the journaling he did during the stay which turned into 35 years life in the wilderness.
I know this probably sounds crazy but I think I would just love doing something like that!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/24/2004, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alone in the Wilderness on PBS Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:

I know this probably sounds crazy but I think I would just love doing something like that!

It doesn't sound crazy to me.....sounds like something that I would love to do. Mary
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! It would be hard work, but such rewarding hard work! I think it would be awsome!

I want to shine!
pfredricks

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you guys read "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer???

I thought that was an interesting book, as well and somewhat pertinent subject. If so, what did ýou think of it?????
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not yet but I am gonna, but first I have to read my other Craig Childs book.

I want to shine!
Sparrish

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 4:37 pm    Post subject: We THINK we could do it... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:

I suppose each of us thinks they could handle the isolation and the only way to test it is to do it and see if you go mad Silly or gain some spiritual and mental clarity.
I was impressed by the show; it takes a special breed to do it and the man was very talented as a craftsman. He even carved wooden hinges for his front door as he fashioned a beautiful cabin out of the land.
Abe

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
Have you guys read "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer???

I did and a dang good book. Tragic, the lad clearly was a free spirit; much like Everett Ruess.

Haven't seen the show yet.
ghoster

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Living in isolation for years takes a special kind of person, both mentally and physically. For 35 years? I am not sure that I would like to do that, or even could. I have lived alone for about a few months, but never isolated like that. It is difficult to imagine having all that space to myself. Of course, I am sure his neighbors would be interesting, and he would get to know some of them. But you could never invite them over.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would lack the "know how" that is for sure, they go crazy when I go to Home Depot and try to explain what a "thingamajiggy" is or a "dodaddy".......there's my solution, I would have to find someone who screams in the middle of the woods, "Who's your Daddy?" ROFLMAO Wow, things could get interesting! Seriously, I've taken 2 weeks of total isolation (yes, this means alone with no one to talk with for those 2 weeks) and LOVED every minute of it, it was very difficult for me to "come back" to civilization.
Mary
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 10/25/2004, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: We THINK we could do it... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sparrish wrote:

I suppose each of us thinks they could handle the isolation and the only way to test it is to do it and see if you go mad Silly or gain some spiritual and mental clarity.

I suppose that a balance of all of the above would be applicable. Imagine how acute your senses would become...and keeping busy with many tasks like he did would certainly be a key. I would take the test if I had the chance.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I couldn't do it for 35 years but I sure would enjoy it for a shorter amount of time!

I want to shine!
StairMaster

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw the show. It was amazing. PBS sure picked a good show for its $$$ drive. That guys handyman skills were beyond belief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: