ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Play Tourist/ Grand Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/24/2004, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Play Tourist/ Grand Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grand Canyon weekend. I was planning on doing Paria Canyon with JW and AzHeat, but both a twisted ankle and the weather prevented me from going. Instead I did a weekend trip to the GC to act like a tourist.

It was really my first trip to the GC, besides my trips to Havasu Canyon and a couple rappeling trips over the canyon. It was amazing while traveling into the Flagstaff area we saw snow all around us, with cars that had found their way into the ditches (I couldn't help but chuckle about all the times that I would go 4x4 on the river bottom without a 4x4 during a blizzard...I was so insane). It brought me back to the years that I lived in Minnesota. I had to take a few pic's along the way, as it did feel so much like home.

We arrived at the Village in the GC Fri. afternoon and enjoyed a quick lunch and a short trip along the rim. There was plenty of snow melting, it almost felt as if we were being rained on as the trees dripped melted snow from their branches. There was such a mist over the canyon and you wondered if you'll ever see the north rim again. We were reassured, that the weather in the canyon changes on a dime. Sure enough, it wasn't long before the snow was melted and the skies were clear to see the snow covering the north rim.

We spent 2 nights at Yavapai Lodge playing tourist. Taking the bus to the Hermit's Rest, hiking along the rim taking tons of pic's, eating a wonderful tuna fish lunch on a rock cliff, over hanging the edge of the canyon....looking at the "alligator". What interesting rock formations.

We took along a map of the trails in the canyon and followed them from the top of the rim. My ankle allowed me to hike along the upper rim, but my heart was far beneath the rim. My entire soul begging to reach the Colorado River and my mind wandering to the day that I get to hike these ancient grounds.

Returning to Phoenix this morning, we had to stop and take pictures of the snow peaks on Humphrey's and to think, not more then a month ago, I was on that peak. The snow peaks are so inviting for some down hill skiing, as well, I'm looking forward to a weekend of cross country skiing on some out of the way trails. It's been years since I've cross country skied. Part of me wonders what a snow shoe would feel like and if I would like to do that? Anyone here ever snow shoed? Any one interested in teaching someone who would love to try it? I have a feeling that we may have some good snow days in the Flag area.
Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: