ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DuPont cabin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 10/6/2004, 9:05 pm    Post subject: DuPont cabin Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was doing a little research for a future trip into the Sierra Anchas and came across a 4X4 trip report to an old line cabin in this range. They had a picture of it posted and it looks to be in good shape. I'd like to go and check this cabin out but they did not leave directions. I did find another trip report but they also did not leave directions but left some hints. Has anyone been here? All I can figure is the west and east boundries are between AZ 188 & AZ 288 and the north and south boundries are the Salome wilderness to the south and Hellsgate wilderness to the north.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You might try contacting Mesa 4 wheelers or some of the other local 4X4 clubs. One info source I read states they commenced on Route 71 from the Saquaro Lake exit off/near the Beeline to Greenback Valley; climbing above Lake Roosevelt; then a run over Reno Pass.

If I had a good map I could probably find it. Doesn't sound like a secret. The mention of Buzzard Roost ranch and cave sounded intriquing also.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In TOPO!, there is a Dupont Tank listed @ 34 29.31 x 111 30.632.
It appears to be near/at the places mentioned.....

Buzzard's Roost "Camp" is listed at 34.0.586 x 111.4.507, which is about 5 miles due north of Dupont.

From the map on TOPO!, it appears that there might be a pretty short 4x4 route (+/- 10 miles) into Dupont from SR288.

As a side-note to RedRoxx, there is a "Red Rock Spring" just WNW of Dupont @ 33.56.459 x 111.10.114

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The map coordinates that you list (Dupont Tank) indicates an area North of Strawberry. The coordinates that you list for Buzzards Roost Camp is pretty close, Buzzards Roost Camp is SSW of Young. The area is quite rough. Will review my old 15 min and 7.5 min USGS maps for Dupont Cabin. What reference material are you using ?
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 10/7/2004, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found out about this cabin from 2 sources. The 1st was from the Mesa 4 wheelers club website in which there is a write up on a trip they did. The 2nd source is the one that has gotten me interested in visiting this place. It doesn't have much of a write up on the 2 trips they did but there is a picture of the place. It's on the Arizona Virtual Jeep Clubs website; azvjc.org. You'll have to look at their 4X4 trail index which seems to be the 4X4 version of hikearizona.com. Look under the letter D and then DuPont cabin trip October 28th 2000.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 10/8/2004, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
The map coordinates that you list (Dupont Tank) indicates an area North of Strawberry. The coordinates that you list for Buzzards Roost Camp is pretty close, Buzzards Roost Camp is SSW of Young. The area is quite rough. Will review my old 15 min and 7.5 min USGS maps for Dupont Cabin. What reference material are you using ?

You are quite correct, Nighthiker.
I must have "blemmed" Whoops! when fishing those coordinates.

The correct ones, I believe, for Dupont TANK are 33.54.236N x 111.4.741W.
As stated in my post I was/am using TOPO! S/W, and within that, the gazetteer to locate place names.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 10/8/2004, 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Cynhikr, Nighthiker & RedRoxx44 for your input. I have found the GPS coordinates for this cabin from wayhoo.com. I've had trouble with their GPS addresses before so does anyone know the difference between the 3 addresses they give; 84 wgs, 27 nad & 84 wgs UTM? There appears to be at least 2 routes to this cabin, one from Punkin Center using FR 71 to FR 236A to FR 236 which appears to be the way the Mesa 4 wheelers went. The 2nd is using AZ 288 to FR 609 to FR 236 which I think is the route the Virtual AZ Jeep club took. I'm going to call the Pleasant Valley Ranger station and ask about the condition of the roads.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/9/2004, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Located DuPont cabin on the Copper Mtn. 7.5 USGS topo map. UTM coordinates 1927 North American Datum is apx. 3751200 North, 493800 East.
Legal: Township 7 North, Range 12 East Section 36. Looks like routing would be from Punkin Center east on FR 71 to FR 236A then on FR 236.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: