ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Optimus Stove

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 9:50 am    Post subject: Optimus Stove Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a very old Optimus 8R camp stove that has not been used in a very long time. Any one use one in the past and do you think it may be safe to use ?
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have an optimus 99, virtually the same model as yours, I think the case is about the only thing that's different. You probably need new seals in it (it'll cost about 10 dollars to have them installed at REI). Mine still works great (after I had the seals replaced about a year ago). I think it's safe to try to light up, make sure you prime it really good if it hasn't been lit in a while. If it was used with gasoline at some point in it's life it will probably be pretty clogged (I don't remember if the 8R has a built in cleaning needle or not). If it doesn't light easily after it's been well primed then it's most likely the seals.

Those optimus stoves are still pretty cool. I did a comparison (but lost it when my old computer crashed, so I don't have the exact numbers) and my little 99 burned for something like 150 minutes on a cup of white gas and took about 2.5 min to boil water (lukewarm, not from ice), it's a little heavier than newer stoves but I think that the efficiency makes up for that on extended trips, or whenever you have to make the most out of your fuel.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: