ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
For one brief moment in time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/28/2004, 6:58 pm    Post subject: For one brief moment in time Reply to topic Reply with quote

Out in a pin wheeling arm of the Milky Way by a small star in a small solar system up in the atmosphere of a single magic planet out of the billions and billions of scattered planets in that galaxy there was a sun dog in the waning days of the dog days themselves. I don’t think I have ever seen a sun dog save the in late fall or winter reflecting off of high ice crystals in a low oblique sun. For one brief moment last Tuesday the light broke down as through a prism high above the southern deserts just before noon. It had been a strange and wonderful day since its start and when it was over it took me the rest of the week to recover. What is this thing called light? I don’t really know but to see a sun dog is said to bring luck to the hunter and we are all hunters. I wonder what our distant ancestors though of this beautiful phenomena.

RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 8/28/2004, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW!!!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/28/2004, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You amaze me more and more with every picture you take Glen!
vls01

PostPosted: 8/29/2004, 8:52 am    Post subject: for a brief moment in time Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Glen, This is such an amazing picture of a Sun Dog. Back here in Michigan our weatherman showed a picture of a Sun Dog last winter but it had no color just a yellow ring around the sun.

What a wonderful treat you shared on a crummy Michigan day.

My husband and I got back a day early from our camp being built, he had a terrible fall and is all banged up, the dog ran away in the woods, Twice! and the hardware store sent the wrong kind of insulation. Of course we did not read the label on the packages until we had loaded it in the van, taken it by boat across the lake and lugged it up the hill and into the upstairs of the cabin. What a crummy weekend &*^%@!

Thanks for this amazing picture, it just fills my soul with wonder and gratitude, I am almost in Arizona!

Viv
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/29/2004, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the very kind comments Letty and Davis. I'll have to let the fabric of the universe take all the credit though. I was just there to record it.

Viv, you usually see sun dogs in the northern latitudes moreso than further south and they come in the winter days most of all. I have seen an entire ring around the sun on a Tucson winter's day. There were two bright sun dogs reflecting opposite each other, one right of the sun and one to the left. Usually I just see one and they always have been broken down into rainbow colors.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal building the cabin. Hang in there. Michigan is heaven of wilderness. The north woods have always held my imagination. Show us some images when you get settled in but always come south for the winter when you can. Mr. Green I have a few friends and relatives who live up there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: