ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
"THE SECRET KNOWLEDGE OF WATER"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abe

PostPosted: 8/18/2004, 4:26 pm    Post subject: "THE SECRET KNOWLEDGE OF WATER" Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, every once in a while I come across a book that is worthy of telling anyone that shares the same interests as I. I have come across such book to share with you all.

It is written by Craig Childs titled;

"[There Are Two Easy Ways to Die in the Desert: Thirst and Drowning] THE SECRET KNOWLEDGE of WATER"

I will not go in to great of details, other than to say I would encourage everyone to read it; especially, for those who have just recently moved here to Arizona.

On the Abe's scale of 1 to 5, 5 being best, I give it a 4.5.
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 8/18/2004, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll second that!

As far as I'm concerned, The Secret Knowledge of Water is right up there with the best nature books ever written (though calling it a nature book is a bit of an injustice since the book runs the gamut from quiet contemplation of nature to serious adventure; he deftly squeezes some science, too). It's rare for me to ever read a book more than once. I read Secret Knowledge twice within a year and was blown away both times.

-Scott
cactuscat

PostPosted: 8/19/2004, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed - it's a beautifully written book.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/19/2004, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is the same guy that wrote The Soul of Nowhere. JW63 has told me much about that book as well and I have looked all over for it and couldn't find it so when I read this post I just couldn't take it any more and went to http://www.alibris.com/ and ordered them both! Thanks for the recommendations! Now the wait begins... they both ship in 2-3 days.....

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: