ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Zigs & Zags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Zigs & Zags Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been thinking fond thoughts lately of all the Hearty Souls who populate this list.

Was doing a route this week that registered only a mile "as the crow flies" on the GPS. The USFS said is was 1.5 miles. Mangum's "Sedona Hikes" said it was 2.75 miles. Based on my "ET" from point-to-point, I didn't even think it was 1.5 miles.

It got me to thinking about "zigs and zags." Specifically, I am wondering what would be a good "guesstimate" as to an AVERAGE "zig-zag" factor to add into a GPS "crow flies" distance.

For example, let's say you've just hiked a series of switchbacks and done a curving travese around a cinder cone or other topographical feature.
You check your GPS and it says it was only 2 miles from your last waypoint. (We don't do GPS routes-just waypoints.) But you'd swear is was more than 3 miles.

What are your thoughts and feelings about the "zig-zag" factor. Add 60%? 50% 40%? Less? More? Let's hear it.

j
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 3:36 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Out of all my topo expertise skills, I am pretty sure that there is no zig zag factor to add into anything. However, there is an instrument that you can buy to figure out the exact number of miles given you have the topo map. You set the scale on the instrument to the scale on the topo and it has a little wheel that you put on the map and follow the trail to the end or however long you plan on hiking and it tells you the number of miles that it is, exactly! It's a great tool and I can tell you more about this tool or any kind of topo information, if you'd like me too. I've had about 15yrs practice with this kind of stuff including compass and its other tools related to it. You're talking to the topo expert extrodinare!

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Well, sorta Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
there is an instrument that you can buy to figure out the exact number of miles given you have the topo map. You set the scale on the instrument to the scale on the topo and it has a little wheel that you put on the map and follow the trail to the end or however long you plan on hiking and it tells you the number of miles that it is, exactly! It's a great tool and I can tell you more about this tool or any kind of topo information, if you'd like me too. I've had about 15yrs practice with this kind of stuff including compass and its other tools related to it. You're talking to the topo expert extrodinare!

Hey, Dude, we've owned one of those thingies since 1982 ourselves and we ain't no strangers to topos. Maybe you didn't read out post. We know how to roll that thingie across a USGS quad with the best of you self-proclaimed "topo expert extrodinares!" We are currently registered with the USGS on their official "Adopt-A-Quad" program. How 'bout you, Dude?

Soooo....would you mind reconsidering your post and preparing an answer that actually addresses our query?

J&S
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 6:17 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, only trying to help you out....dude. "Obviously" you know alot already, so I'll leave it at that. However, for your awesome "zig and zag guesstimate" factor, lets just say multiply it by 13.5%. That sounds about right to me. Laughing
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

J,
I don't have a GPS so I couldn't give a factor to add. I do know what my approximate speed is on a type of trail so I use that if I don't have anything else. Otherwise, I figure the USGS or other map is close enough for me. I always figured the USGS were pretty accurate on elevations if nothing else. However, a few months back I was standing on a peak and a guy there was reading the elevation with his GPS. It was about 100 feet off from the map. *shrug* Maybe there's been some erosion since the last survey. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: