ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A good backpacking Hammock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belinda

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 7:00 pm    Post subject: A good backpacking Hammock Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought my hammock at the Tempe Art Festival a couple months ago, but you can buy them here too:

http://www.hammockbliss.com/

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this hammock for summer backpacking. Besides being cool & airy and ideal for stargazing (also lounging around midday), its lightweight, even lighter than my bug tent!!! and durable, and it is pretty comfortable. The trick is finding two trees that are spaced far enough apart, so far not a problem since I've been bping North of the rim.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That looks really comfy--I love hammocks.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:

Well Maryphyl, WHERE were you for our Humphrey Hammock Hangout last weekend???....

I'm sure one of the Cabana Boys would've given up his hammock to let you hang with us Diva Gals!! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
maryphyl wrote:

Well Maryphyl, WHERE were you for our Humphrey Hammock Hangout last weekend???....

I'm sure one of the Cabana Boys would've given up his hammock to let you hang with us Diva Gals!! Wink

Shoot, we would have just kicked one of the Cabana Boys out of their hammocks Bouncing

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Belinda. I think I might have to add that to my Christmas list this year!! Excellent!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Humphrey Hammock Folks ..

What is a local (Phoenix) store that carries a "backpacking" hammock ? I figure with so many out there some one bought theirs locally
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought mine at Walmart after Paint & Suz told me about them. I think it was $8.49. Worked great too.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Mosquito Free Hammock looks very interesting, especially with all the West Nile Virus concern in AZ.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
pfredricks

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think hammocks are sometimes a good alternative.
I dont want to be a pessimist but, this isnt spam is it?

another great hammock is found here

http://hennessyhammock.com/

They also have a bark safe (supposedly) harness that is not supposed to harm the tree.

as a side note, hammocks are not supposed to be very good in cold weather.

-Pete
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
HUM469

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can tell you that the tree-huggers that come with the Hennessy are safe for the bark. It is funny you should bring them up, because I just came in from napping in my Hennessy! Last night my AC went out, and my repair guy wasn't going to be able to get here before 2. With the wind outside, I went to the park down the street for a nap in the shade. Now many times over the last six months I have used the same two trees to show off the hammock, afternoon naps, or what have you, and the trees still show no sign what so ever.
I don't want to sound like an ad here, but I have to say a few things while hammocks are being discussed. Besides being a nice relaxing luxury on the trail, they do make a very weather proof shelter as well. I am not sure I will ever carry a tent again on a back-pack. In the cold it does require a slightly different approach than sleeping on the ground. However there are a number of techniques for temperatures down to 0 that weigh the same or less than a ground based setup. Now I know some may say what about when there are no trees. Well it does set up on the ground like a large bivy or small pup- tent very easily. Also I have strung mine up between boulders very easily. The suspension ropes are very durable and there are a great many options for setup that I could talk about for hours. Instead I will just say why carry a tent and a hammock, when you could set up the hammock and sleep all night without that darned root or rock getting you? Anyone who has questions about camping in a hammock, please feel free to contact me and I will answer any questions you may have.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow HUM, you've certainly peaked my interest!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/28/2004, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ahhh hammocks... I new I wanted one for hiking but after seeing the pictures of the Humphrey weekend hammocks, I knew I had to get one. I went to the local Walmart hope it works out otherwise I'll be on the lookout for another!!! What an intriguing picture of all the empty hammocks though. It was like a sea of hammocks just floating in amongst the trees.... What a interesting pic

wanderingsoul
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/28/2004, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WS.....

The one from Walmart will look really flimsy at first but it worked real well for me!

Mr. Green

Belinda

PostPosted: 7/29/2004, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would rather support a local artist than Walmart anyday.

I know my hammock was made in the USA -and you can't get much more local than Tuscon. I met the guy who stitched it. I don't know if you will get that guarentee from Walmart.

As far as this being spam? I don't know, we're talking about backpacking gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: