ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Two questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
HUM469

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Two questions Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am looking at getting two new items for my various travels and adventures, and I was just wondering if anyone on the board owns, or has any expirience with either one of the following;
First is the Brunton Liberty Mantleless Lantern, seen at Brunton
It seems like a good idea because whenever I am caving, or somewhere where a lantern could come in handy, it would be nice to not have to mess with a mantle, but is it as bright and long lasting as say a colman? Looks a lot smaller, so it might be nicer to carry too.
The second is the Primus Omni-fuel stove, seen at
Primus Products
Again this seems like a good idea since it can burn canister fuel as well as virtually all liquid fuels. Since it isn't a good idea to carry fuel with you on a flight anymore, I think I like the ability to use anything I find when I get there. I guess I have just been using the same old Camping GAZ/Bluett stove so long, I am timid about switching, but it seems harder and harder to find canisters for it anymore, so it is time to catch up.
I thank you all in advance, and please, any help or knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated. Ciao![/url]
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't have any experience with the multi-fuel stoves, but I am kind of curious about the lantern. Wonder how they perform in cooler weather? Kinda pricey too.

I picked up a little Lumostar Camping Gaz lantern for like $8 at Sports Authority a year ago. It has a mantle, but haven't had to replace it yet. The whole setup is as simple as can be. Built-in Piezo and, so far, unbreakable globe. I've got about 10 trips on it without a failure. Dinky little thing too.

http://www.campingaz.com/sunbeam/products/index_visualiser.asp?ref=172&move_pointeur=
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 5:43 pm    Post subject: gas and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

A white gas stove is definetely cheaper to fuel than a cartridge based stove. I was happy with my white gas stove but the feeder tube cracked and it only put out 7500 BTU's.

GTG
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
I picked up a little Lumostar Camping Gaz lantern for like $8 at Sports Authority a year ago. It has a mantle, but haven't had to replace it yet. The whole setup is as simple as can be. Built-in Piezo and, so far, unbreakable globe. I've got about 10 trips on it without a failure.

Yeah but beware....it's a head banging magnet! Crazy Gotta be pure luck that that globe isn't broken yet!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I picked up a little Lumostar Camping Gaz lantern for like $8 at Sports Authority a year ago. It has a mantle, but haven't had to replace it yet. The whole setup is as simple as can be. Built-in Piezo and, so far, unbreakable globe. I've got about 10 trips on it without a failure. Dinky little thing too.

Tom I must say I have been impressed with that lantern. I may have to pick one of those up!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be careful with the lantern when caving. The rule of thumb for caving is 3 light sources, you primary, a primary backup and one other backup (preferably non-electric). All the light sources should be as water and impact proof as possible.

A lantern would be okay if you were going to be going on an extended trip and you were planning on taking a break for an hour or two (or spending the night inside), but the bulk and relative delicacy of the lantern would be sort of a risk if you're doing serious caving.

Just my two cents based on the caving comment.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
HUM469

PostPosted: 7/27/2004, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a lot of time in caves, and yes daddee, those are the uses that my lantern most often sees, that and some photography lighting. Also, I carry two LED lights with spare batteries, and two Xenon lights with spare batteries and spare bulbs. Oh, and glow sticks too! I always go for the over kill. I like the look of the Brunton because there is no globe or mantle, I am hopeing that the delicacy is no longer an issue, and the bulk seems very minimal with this lantern. But I know nothing other than what the company says, and a few reviews that seem more like company wrote than consumer. I have owned a Camping Gaz for some time, and it is a good little lantern, but I found it gets very hot, and I have to say not breaking a globe or a mantle is just good luck, something I am apparently not endowed with.
In any case, thank you so far for all the thoughts, but is there anyone with real world expirience with either item? Anybody seen a trust worthy, balanced review out there? After all both must have other cons beside "so great I won't use anything else".
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: