ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
just made it back from the Tour de France-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfredricks

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 2:37 pm    Post subject: just made it back from the Tour de France- Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well what can I say..........

He did it and in amazing fashion. I was able to get a day off of work and my German friend Karsten and I made it to Friday's stage. All that I can say is that it was a riot. The tour is so much more than I ever imagined.
There were people from all over the world. I met some brits, aussies, USA folk, Belgians, netherlanders, Germans, Swiss, Italians, and, of course, some French people.
We arrived very late due to some navigation complications from my friend. We set up a tent on the steepest part of the climb and at 3 AM after some beers, we fell asleep. We awoke when the car honking began at 6am, not to mention each passing semi almost blew the tent over. When we peeked out, we saw "El Diablo" He is a famous part of the tour here in Europe. I had never heard of him, but Karsten was awestruck. Many people follow the tour for a long time and never get the chance to run accross him. We were camped right next to him, unbeknownst to us. This guy was a riot. All he said all day was "allez, allez" He was also doing color commentary for the tour for European TV.
Some americans gave me a lance "live strong" bracelet and that was pretty cool of them.
The route was packed and we basically waited all day for the brief 10 minutes of tour passing. It was one lead pack and the peloton. They were flying. You should have seen the blue train at the front of the peloton. They were IN CHARGE and the peloton was just along for the ride. Lance was so well protected.
I took a couple pictures, but, alas missed a perfect shot of lance because I apparently cant aim a camera. The pictures of Lance are from a friend of mine, who was lucky enough to make it to the finale in Paris. Pretty nice shots, i think.
I know it isnt hiking, but, I wanted to share a few of the pics. I will never forget the experience.....and heck even driving home thru the French countryside wasnt that bad either.

WIsh you all could have been there. I was even able to "acquire" the 1 km to summit sign with the offical La Tour de France logo on it. It is a paperboard sign that I know they did not expect to get back. Everything that was not bolted down got taken home.

I hope you enjoy the album, it is just a few of the shots and it can't even begin to convey the environment.
-Pete
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool! The photo you entitle "the peloton" is , dead center, Eric Zabel, the great German sprinter.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and if you notice, he is wearing a lance "live strong" bracelet for Cancer support. Interesting I thought.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pictures, how neat that you made it to see the finale. Thanks for thinking of us and sharing your pictures!

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Cool Pics, Pete!!! Looks like a lot of fun!! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you were able to go see the tour. Sounds like you had a great time. Nice Pics!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That must have been craaazy! I was watching leg 17 on TV last week. The crowds were all over the road. It looked like a Spanish bull run.
I was surprised the riders knew where the turns were. They were cookin' too.

Great pics Pete.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW, you are so lucky! I would have loved to have been there. How amazing! His spirit alone is awesome! Mary
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/26/2004, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the Pics. Glad you were there in person to share sporting history!
pfredricks

PostPosted: 7/27/2004, 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/photoGallery?contentId=2604326

some more good shots, there is a good one of "El Diablo"
I cant get enough of that guy

-Pete
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 7/27/2004, 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Pete, good pics. Glad to see you are getting out. Getting to go to that one great experience!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: