ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
July GHOTM July 10th Humphrey's Peak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Daryl
PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 8:10 pm    Post subject: July GHOTM July 10th Humphrey's Peak Reply with quote

More information to come, but I just wanted to get this out here before Tom started busting on me.

July's Group hike of the month will be Humphrey's peak. My initial thinking is to get up there Friday evening and hit the trail early Saturday morning. Maybe meet at the trailhead at 8am?

The trail is well used and easy to follow. To the peak it's about 4.5 miles and 3300 feet of elevation gain. The trail starts off in a heavily wooded ponderosa pine forest but slowly climbs out of the trees. The saddle, about 3 miles in, makes a good lunch/break spot and for some people this will also be a good turn around spot. From the saddle to the peak can be pretty grueling if you are not from Flagstaff and there are 3 or 4 false peaks that will disppoint you on the way, but on a clear day the peak is well worth the effort.
evenstar wrote:
I'm planning on taking the motorhome up early Friday July 9. Will probably camp at the same site we used last year.
Directions: take highway 180 out of Flagstaff as if you were driving to the Canyon. Three miles PAST the road into Snowbowl, on the right side of 180, is FR 151. It's a dirt road, but well graded and does not require high clearance. If I can get the campsite we used last year, it's three miles in on FR 151 and 1/4 mile before Hart Prairie. There are plenty of trees for hanging hammocks.
Plan on pot luck Saturday evening at the campsite.

Hike
AzBrad123
Mike???
Suzaz
Chifiggs
Tom
Paintninaz
DennisBench
Trish
Jaime
JW63
Davis2001
Krystyn
Hoolie
Randy
TMan911007
Me
GTG
DWH

Pot Luck
Randy – Grub
Trish - Marinated vegie salad BBQ chicken
Hoolie – Tri tip
GTG - Macaroni and cheese surprise
J-Me and Dave - ?
DWH - ?
AzBrad123- Apps
Tom - Noodle thing
PaintinAZ - coleslaw or potato salad

checking in Friday night we have:
Hooli (aka Cabana Bathroom Boy)---providing motorhome services to women in dire need and grilling tri-tip on Sat.
Dennis (aka Cabana Breakfast Boy)---bagels and cream cheese for the early morning Sat. hikers who haven't time for the breakfast burrito bar.
Trish--mashies
PaintnAZ---grilled corn on the cob & veggies, condiments for the burgers, tortillas
Tom---(aka Cabana Burger Boy) burgers and buns (and let's hope they're hamburger buns and not the kind we've all seen recently in the photo gallery)
Suz---chorizo, bacon, eggs, salsa
Jim
AzBrad123--'in town' but tentative for dinner
chihiggs + 1 or 2 friends

CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We will be there. We will arrive after dinner Friday night, as I probably can't get out of work all that early. Sooo, we will eat en route and arrive 7:30 ish.

We will bring grub for Sat pm and Sun am, as well as a coleman stove, and lantern.

Anybody heard weather?? Rain??
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back into town and caught up on the posts (I think!) I'll be happy to make the mashies for Friday night. Will check back to see what's needed for Saturday pot luck......Could always BBQ some chicken since Hooli is doing a beef tri-tip.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My parents have been saying that it is raining everyday, for a brief period. Lite monsoon style.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi Multi Multi Flashing Flashing Turning Turning
yippee!
Do you have hammocks?

this is what I have seen for the weather
Fri Jul 09 Mostly Sunny 80°/46° 10 %
Sat Jul 10 Partly Cloudy 81°/46° 10 %
Sun Jul 11 Mostly Sunny 82°/47° 30 %
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, let's get a list together:

1. who is in for the hike?
2. who is in for Saturday pot luck?
3. If yes on #2 what are you bringing?

(if you already posted your answer no need to do it again, I'll check through everything tomorrow and post a list)
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/5/2004, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

******I'm not hiking to the peak Saturday (hangin out on a hammock) might
want to do a day hike though

******Will bring whatever for pot luck dinner Saturday. Marinated vegie salad?
BBQ some chicken?

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry about slacking off on this one. I just moved into a temporary rental house, I’ve been out of town, and I’ve been buried at work. Thanks all for filling in. I just updated the lists. I don’t have a lot of info on the Saturday potluck yet.

I’m still thinking on my potluck contribution. All my favorite camp foods are cooked over fire and that’s out of the question.

Yes meeting time is still 8am at the trailhead. I’d rather start earlier, but I think you non morning people would beat me up if I suggested it.

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will be arriving Friday night after work. I will be bringing my brother with me as well. Anybody have suggestions on where we could stay close to the trail? I am not going to set up camp that late at night so I am going to stay in a hotel. Also, directions to the trail? Is it ok for a little Ford Fungus? That would be Focus, but it is my husbands beater car so that's what we like to call it. Very Happy

Unfortunately I will be taking off right when we finish the hike to relieve my sitter. So, no potlucks for me. Sad

I will be at the TH at 8, just need a little more information.

Thanks!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kristyn,

Just schlep along a tent (or two). The campsite is pretty close to the trailhead. You guys can grab a ride with the hikin' crowd in the a.m.. Why waste the dough on a hotel?
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The campsite's about 20 miles and close to 45 minutes from the TH. It's 3 miles from the campsite out to 180, another three miles to the Snowbowl road and I think it's another 12 or so miles up the snowbowl rd to the TH parking lot. Snowbowl road's windy, but well paved. There's a motel on 180 right at the Snowbowl Rd.
Ski Lift Lodge & Restaurant
(928) 774-0729
6355 W Highway 180
Flagstaff, AZ
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Kristyn

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Primarily the reason for not camping is that I will probably not be leaving my house in East Mesa until 6:30pm. I have to get my kids settled with the sitter right after work, then I will be heading out. I will just be getting into flagstaff too late.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm so glad you're coming!! I can't wait to see you again!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to read through all the posts, so just in case I decide to go, where is the trailhead and where is this campsite?

-=db=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Directions: take highway 180 out of Flagstaff as if you were driving to the Canyon. Three miles PAST the road into Snowbowl, on the right side of 180, is FR 151. It's a dirt road, but well graded and does not require high clearance. If I can get the campsite we used last year, it's three miles in on FR 151 and 1/4 mile before Hart Prairie.
TH is at Snowbowl off 180.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 7/6/2004, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks. Don't know if I'll camp yet. I can't camp Saturday night as I have to leave for Chicago Sunday morning.

I am hazarding a guess this campsite is without dunnies....like, no facilities, right?

-=db=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: