ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Towel Creek Trail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Towel Creek Trail? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone done this one? It west of Strawberry, SE of Camp Verde, 15+/- miles down to the Verde River.

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 8:36 pm    Post subject: It's OK Reply to topic Reply with quote

We done the Towel Creek trail about six times over the last 20 years or so. It's OK. It's not generally a trail we go to for itself but rather on that takes us somewhere else such as to the Verde River, the top of Hackberry Mtn or the Towel Peaks themselves. It's fairly short and has a more than average amt. of historic and prehistoric "interest" on it. If you go to the river, you wind up across the Verde from Brown Springs Ranch. You will have to go upstream aways to find a decent ford to get across.
We'd be curious as to why you mjight seek this trail as a "destination trail." Hope you wouldn't mind sharing your opinions in that regard.

j&s

PS--you're better off getting to the TH from Camp Verde and don't even think about driving the CHilds Road when it is even moderately wet.
PS#2--We just noticed your post mentioned it was 15 miles +/- down to the Verde River. We only know of one Towel Creek trail on the Verde and it ain't no 15 miles to the river, more like 5 max, and that's if you're in a mood of exaggeration. Maybe you are thinking of a different trail. The one and only Towel Creek Trail we know about come into the Verde across from Gap Creek.
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/26/2003, 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, my info is sketchy obviously, I'll let you know what I find out. The 15 is RT I believe.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is the Coconino National Forest's page for this trail...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/canyons/towellcreek_tr.html
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of the ruins is full of bat poop. The west end of the trail you have to cross the Verde River. If yo want to visit the ruins only, start from the west end. I take along a inner tube to cross the Verde River depending upon flow. You can also do this at Beaseley Flats to cross the river and check out the ruins on the east bank.
Desertboots
Applecart Overturner

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Towel Creek Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did this from the west side trail head. Very tricky, it gets to where you spend more time trying to find your way than enjoying a trail. I have a list of hike description on my little web page and I'll add that one, I have pictures and a description.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shawn

PostPosted: 2/2/2003, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We did this today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, you need to watch the trail, it does wander off and get lost once in awhile. We built up some cairns here and there, several were real small. We made it to the river, and had a delicious snooze in the grass listening to the little rapids, rather hypnotic. Saw the ruins from afar, but did not take the time to explore. Honestly, the ruins don't do much for me anymore. Mexican food at Camp Verde was wonderful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: