ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Life of Boots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe I went into a Good Feet down here and they did the same type thing. I must have looked flush because they said $300 to me after the "walk on the ink test" and the "push on your hands to make you rock forward and back test". It was a scam in my opinion. They were not even custom, just some moulded plastic off the shelf. The Birks are made much nicer in my opinion and much less money.

Mine and the casual as well and you get them for 50 bucks. It is well worth it. They seem to be ready to last and last. For me the Birks really work.
Kim

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

how many miles does it take for most of your feet to start hurting? I'm still curious about MikeinFAZ's comment at an earlier time about feet shouldn't ache with good boots. Isn't it inevitable that after a certain amt of hrs/miles your feet will just hurt? also, how many folks here are good about changing their socks on a hike and who wears liners? do you change both on long hikes? I remember putting my feet in streams in the past for some relief, too.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wear liners and try to change socks and liners on a long hike, especially if it's hot.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My feet don't typically hurt on dayhikes at all (even after the '14 miles in the rain on the never ending trail') ...only when backpacking...and it use to be they didn't hurt until I had gone 10+ miles, now it seems they're down to about 6. Crying or Very sad

I I tried wearing liners on the Grandview/Horseshoe Mesa hike...I had to take them off about 1/2 way through, seemed to make my feet slip more than usual.

I don't usually change my socks during a hike (except on multi-day hikes, then I change them everyday Very Happy ).

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do not use liners -- interestingly they gave me the only blisters I have ever had hiking! I have seen them work wonders for my brother who was getting blisters till he started using liners. For those that sweat a lot -- makes major sense to carry extra socks even on day hikes.

I make sure I have a fresh pair of wool socks for backpacks. As soon as I get into camp I get out of my shoes into flipflops or tevas and air out my socks & shoes.

One things to note -- make sure liners/socks do not cut off circulation to ya feet!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
My feet don't typically hurt on dayhikes at all (even after the '14 miles in the rain on the never ending trail') ...only when backpacking...and it use to be they didn't hurt until I had gone 10+ miles, now it seems they're down to about 6. Crying or Very sad

).

sounds like a footware issue

suspect your footware is not designed to handle the backpacking load/miles

have the same problem with my lowa renegades which are for light dayhiking but it all depends on the load/miles/trail
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what I need to expain, Kim, is that I find it would be hard for me (or others) to even enjoy backpacking, if I knew in advance I was cruisin for some major foot/back pain. I feel from the research I've done the conclusion I made to you was well grounded, and I simply suggested the possibility that your boots are not a good fit/design for your hiking style and shape of foot. when I said "your feet should never hurt on a backpacking trip", I was hoping to convey that You dont deserve foot pain, fatigue and overall stress to your body. I hope you have a more fortunate outcome for your future boot choices, and I want you to understand that boots are the absolute hardest choice to make, because of differences in foot dimensions. Some people swear by expensive made brands, but in reality those La Sportivas or Danners may be hell for you personally. My only suggestion is to try on 4000 pairs if thats what it takes. A professional boot fitting seems logical in this instance. If you take into consideration what Ray Jardine and Will Brosnan say about boots, that for every 1 pound of footwear=6.4 pounds on your back, maybe you can determine if the weight of your boot is part of the problem. Some fortunate hikers on this site have noted their ability to hike in simple, light trail running shoes.

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think that after anyone hikes a certain number of miles there feet are going to hurt. That mileage can vary on different types of terrain. If there is anyone out there that says there feet never hurt after hiking or that they never get blisters, they can come with me on my next Rim-Rim-Rim.
-TIM-
Kim

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeinFHaz, this is an interesting topic. You brought up the word "major" foot pain. I don't know if i'd call my pain major and i don't know if i always had aches, either, after long hikes. it's something i'll have to start paying more attn to, though. Maybe my Lowas aren't good for long hikes or are also wearing out? I'll have to start paying more attn. All I remember is that after Mtn Goat in MA gave me a pair of boots that were too big when i returned the ones that leaked and forced me to take the big ones because "there was nothing wrong with them," my Lowas felt like slippers, at least, because I don't get huge blisters, and usually don't get blisters for that fact. I just can't imagine going 20 miles and someone's feet not hurting, though. It's certainly interesting and something to investigate more!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to add a disclaimer and say that I am talking about the average hiker, like you or me, and not a machine like TIM. He's right when he says after certain miles your feet are going to hurt. Guess Id have to "investigate" also, by doing something like Rim-Rim-Rim. I used to hike in full leather boots that fit real nice around town, but out on the trail they were useless. I often do 20 miles and my feet dont hurt, last hike I had a small hot spot that was formed on the inside arch, but only after JOGGING 2 or so miles on a rocky trail (the U-Bar) I was wearing the Vasque Velocity trail runners. You might try trail runners? I have heard some folks claim that Hi tops dont do a dang thing for preventing twisted ankles, but I dunno. I will tell you that Im never going back to heavy boots, ever

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Usually, the only time my feet hurt enough to whine about, is after hiking a trail that has a lot of smaller 'creek' rocks. The constant twisting of my foot really gets to me after a while.

I have to say, since I started using an inexpensive custom foot-bed in my boots, the pain is just about nil. I had a pretty major metatarsal problem going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: