ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Go John Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Go John Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know people have done this. I looked some stuff up on google and found directions, etc. I'm just looking to do something tomorrow real close to me in N Phoenix, and that isn't real hardcore. Is this hike worth doing?
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was the "Hike of the week" in the Arizona Republic today, Living section. Wacko I'm thinking this might be a tad crowded this weekend Chin Scratching
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow, thanks for catching that. i would have gone there and found 50 people on the trail in front of me. oh well maybe during the week for that hike. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. Although tomorrow is almost here so I better figure something out. Crazy
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to rain on your parade, but thought I would bring this to your attention. You know how it goes. Out of site, out of mind. Since it was in the paper, it will probably be overrun this weekend. It might not be, but you never know.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done this one a bunch of times, including 2 weeks ago (http://arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118). It's pretty handy for me because we live about 15-20 minutes away. This is a really nice hike, it was rated one of the best hikes in the Valley a couple of years ago by the New Times, or somebody. It's usually a fairly busy hike, but I've never seen it anything like the trails closer to town. If and when you go, I'd recommend making a loop combining the Overton and Go John trails. That works out to about 6.5 miles, I believe. I prefer doing the loop counter-clockwise, but it wouldn't be any more or less difficult the other way. There is a stable in the park that runs trail rides during the cool months, so you might run into a horse group once or twice. It's supposedly popular with mountain bikers, too. But I have only seen them there once. 2 bikers on the hike 2 weeks ago. All in all, it's not a bad hike at all, especially when you don't have a full day to go further out of town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: