ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Virga in the NW Valley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Virga in the NW Valley Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had to run some errands tonight and when I was driving back home, I saw Virga over the Pinnacle Peak area. COOL, but isn't it a bit early for that? Mary
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

don't see this too often on here...

1st glance I thought it said blue pill Crazy
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

blue pill over the pinnacle Peak area......gotta be some potent poopie Crazy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary,

Maybe you're referring to the constellation Virgo (visible to the SW) in spring and summer in the Northern hemisphere. Or, if you were looking at one very bright star to the NE, it probably was Vega? Not sure what direction you were heading when you were star gazing Smile

T

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, she's talking about Virga -> http://www.noaa.gov/questions/question_081701.html

We were headed north on the 51 to the 101 this afternoon and it looked like there were monsoon clouds building up north of the New River Mountains.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And here I was thinking she was star gazing!!! I never knew they referred to that as Virga....you learn something new every day! Thanks for setting me straight, Mike!

Mr. Green

T

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks for setting me straight, Mike!

You're welcome!

Now if we could just set Hooli straight....
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="mike"]
Quote:

Now if we could just set Hooli straight....

I ain't going there Laughing

T

Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No I won't got there either!

Virga is precipitation evaporating before reaching the ground.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny I never heard if it referred to as "virga". Maybe that's something you learn after being out here for 5 years! After Mike set me straight, I looked it up on the Net and read up on it. We never had that problem on the east coast, ALL the precipitation hit the ground!

Mary, I thought you were star seeking so I sent you a night sky map! Oh well, it might come in handy Very Happy

T

Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wink I got the night sky map. Thank you, we'll see if I ever remember any of it! I just love to look at the skies, especially when there is activity going on. Mary
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny when I first glanced at it I thought it said "virgin" ----- lots of gorgeous clouds in Tucson and a little rain!!! Doesn't quite have the monsoon flavor yet. Soon???
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I noticed the very same virga last night Mary...was wishing it would move over towards us and actually hit the ground!

I want to shine!
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I live over in the far NW valley, its a very common thing that I see "virga" out there. Just so happens there were two different ones when I was driving home yesterday from work.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, I actually saw three area. It's cool. Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: