ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ace bandage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah shy, I've used ibuprofen on all my hikes. Every six hours whether I think I need it or not. I guess it's supposed to dehydrate you a bit, but the benefits outweigh the agony. I tried New Balance, and they didn't have the shoe i wanted in the width I have. soooooo Got a pair of Osolo's 1/2 size bigger from REI's garage sale. They are lighter than my vasque, which are bombproof. Since I am still recovering from plantar fasciitis and the knee is back to normal, I guess I am meant for specialized orthotics. Thats my next 'step'. Razz Missed my January hike Sad because i plan on building up slowly and doing it right next time. Glad to know I wasn't alone in having some problems. Embarassed Maybe I won't leave at noon next time, I'll leave a little bit earlier......
And yeah, at least my feet will be in better shape too!.... Wink

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read an article last week about 'retro training' I have applied it to other areas but not to hiking/running/walking and such. It is as simple as working the opposing muscles as one does (or should do) with weights. It states that for every 10 minutes one moves in a forward motion, one should move in reverse for 1-2 minutes. I asked at my running group if anyone practices this. I got an overwhelming YES and the ones that do have found that it has been very beneficial esp. when it comes to their knees. I guess it could be dangerous and one would need to take caution running/walking/hiking backwards but if it is really beneificial could be something to try.
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Back when I was running I used to spend some time, not a lot, running backward and it never hurt. And I was a pretty regular runner from early 30's to mid 50's. I've never had any knee problems rather than occasional
ache in my right that doesn't last long and isn't debilitating. And those are 65 year old knees.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 8/12/2003, 6:53 am    Post subject: balance Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well folks,after acl reconstruction, balance becomes a work in progress. A tendon is not a ligament. There is a little muscle on the inside of the knee called a vmo(vastus medial oblique)?, which can only be strenghtened by a v e r y s l o w series of exercises. These are also good for an of us hikers, body bashers, etc. Yes and the age thing! Well, we are all here and still out there,so life is good! Smile
sativo

PostPosted: 1/6/2004, 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just wondering why presciption orthotics are any better. Can you give me more detail?

I've had foot problems all my life and have had custom orthotics prescribed to me by two separate podiatrists several years back. I've since lost them and have recently decided that I need to get a new pair as I'm experiencing a lot of hip pain. Before making the decision to go with a traditional podiatric prescribed orthotic, I've decided to look into the Good Feet brand of orthotics.

They claim that no orthotic (prescribed or otherwise) is truly custom made and that all are pre-manufactured in a range of typical sizes. Once the podiatrist casts a mold and sends that mold to the orthotic manufacturer, the manufacturer selects an orthotic that has been pre-manufactured and makes certain adjustments to it that brings it closer to the patients actual foot.

Is this true?

Also, the folks at Good Feet made the point that orthotics are not an exact science. That the most important thing is getting support for your arches and making sure that the orthotics are sized correctly. I asked about my problems with pronation and how that translates to the custom molding that a podiatrist does, and they claimed that pronation occurs due to the lack of arch support. So once arch support is given, pronation is corrected while wearing the orthotics.

Is this all there is to it? Is there no need to make certain adjustments to the way the orthodic is leveled in the shoe?

Finally, I guess my question is about the Good Feet brand. What do podiatrists think about them? They're not that much more affordable than a typical prescription orthotic. When I tried the ones they offered in the store, they did feel like they gave relief to the heel and ball of my foot. But what does the podiatric community think of this brand? Is the information they're giving me at Good Feet accurate and safe? I really liked their orthotics and would consider going with them, but wonder if they will be enough?

Nathan
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/6/2004, 8:58 am    Post subject: orthotics Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had custom orthotics made by Dr.Michael Kates in Phoenix(35th ave./Bethany). He does all the Suns and sports jocks around. I stand for a living and rather unevenly so they did help my hip/ knee stuff, but it's hard to get shoes that fit properly with them, even though mine were thinner than usual.They do help, but I would try the others before getting customs. They've come a long way and the customs cost almost $300 a few years ago. Give it a shot! Good luck!!
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/6/2004, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As a fitness trainer, I see these common problem chronic injuries all too often. You just have to work around them and get involved strengthening opposing muscle groups. Alot of these chronic injuries are a result of overuse or imbalanced training from over the years, those of us who have done a fair amount of body bashing or sports with more impact can often relate. I can't believe the number of people I assess that have hamstrings tighter than the AZ state budget Laughing ... I tend to emphasize that everyone get into a decent STRETCHING routine 3 -4 times a week, especially after a tough workout. Time to recover properly also helps. As we age, we become alot less flexible, so it is crucial to do this to help avoid furthering the injury. Balance training rocks!... PILATES and core training is the best thing to come along in quite some time. It still shocks me sometimes to see what some doctors actually prescribe or tell people to do. I have never been a huge promoter of supplements but there is a great product from New Chapter called Zyflamend which aids in reduction of inflammation. It contains rosemary, ginger, basil and some other herbs. I take it as needed and it really helps. Their products are 100% herbal and organic. Great line of stuff. I think natural products are much better than some of the pharmaceutical crap that makes docs and insurance companies alot of money.
'Nuff said! Smile
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/6/2004, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee:

Sounds like a couple pictures might help, -MRI. For soft tissue work, I hear very, very good things about Dr. Angelo Mattalino. My dentist's wife had her ACL redone by him, and she's in charge of surgery center at the hospital in question, Scottsdale/Shea
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/7/2004, 11:56 am    Post subject: acl's Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mattilino is very good.Doc. Emerson did my acl. He's a great sports Doc. also,a skiier+keeps with the latest everything! Sande J, I have done Pilates for about 25 years, being a former dancer. Our pre-dance floor work was all core and I am so glad of it. I am soo flexible(except for my itb's) and a lot of that is work related.Flexibility is a necessity that a lot of trainers and health clubs are Finally realizing! Why even at this advanced age, I can still get my legs around my head. What an "ice-breaker" that is! Shocked Wish I didn't have as much scar tissue around my knees, as they don't bend as well as before all these scopes, etc.But ,hey, still out there! Life is good!! Laughing
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/7/2004, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: acl's Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
I can still get my legs around my head. What an "ice-breaker" that is!

Do I sense a new avatar Embarassed
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/11/2004, 6:33 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like I said on the other Arizona forum, instead of ace bandage, I prefer a machete and lots of gauze...... Rolling Eyes
Kim

PostPosted: 6/11/2004, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i'm late on this convo, but didn't have knee probs before, so I'm jumping in late. definetly like uphill better. it used to be just because i'm cautious going down and i can't enjoy the scenery and stuff better, as I watch my step more and it really slows me down. now, since training for Whitney, my knee has been bothering me. I was going to buy a knee strap, but called REI and the guy there said u can do more damage if u get the wrong kind-there's the kind that goes above your knee and the kind that goes below your knee.

I'm hoping it will go away when i'm not doing the heavier duty hikes and that's it's just temporary. it's not extremely painful-seems like it might be the beginning of something. whitney is a long 11 miles downnnnnnnnn. we'll see! In the meantime, I wouldn't see why the knee brace that has the hole in the middle would do more damage. I suppose I can see why the strap above or below the knee might do more damage if you put it in the wrong spot. I kina want to think you'd be able to feel where it's helping, though.... Maybe I"ll get to the dr. prevention is always good. I'm just really lazy about going to the doc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: