ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Muse about to be incised by T-Rex teeth and other tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/8/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Muse about to be incised by T-Rex teeth and other tips Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know many of you are interested in photography as in evidence in the gallery section so here is a little bit more on lighting, post processing and composition.

Sometimes you will have to shoot in mid day harsh sunlight. Now you are really going to have to think. You can’t blow any highlights or you’ll pay later so be on the lookout while in the field. In this shot the sun was overhead and the tops of the rocks were in danger of being over lit. As you can see my highlights here are on the top-left side of the near rock where poor Linda is in the jaws of a time frozen prehistoric beast. She is the perfect hiking partner and muse, full of patience, willing to assist and possessing a good eye herself. I had to do some work in Photoshop to pull this one off. My exposure was the best it could be but I had to open up the shadows and pull back the highlights to get what I wanted out of this one. Notice the clouds have been pulled back a bit too much but it saved the foreground rock which is more important anyway. I like this portrait of her.

Remember, don’t center every portrait. If you recall the portrait done on one of their extreme hikes that JW63 took his avatar from, he was well lit in the foreground off to the right a bit and Sunhiker was offset to the rear and to the right. It was a brilliant composition and excellent lighting maybe from overcast skies. That was handled as good as they come. ( I am taking this from memory so if it is bit off in accuracy, you know why)

Spend a little time in the low light of the sunrise and sunset. Things start to become very interesting in these precious minutes. Every dawn and every dusk are different and locations add something more so be on the lookout for opportunities. The soft glowing light and interesting shadows will put life into your shots that you won’t be able to get in any other part of the day. And if you get stuck like I am in this self portrait, then just back out and try again. This was late afternoon just before the sun dropped behind the west wall, somewhere in the desert near Page.

It isn’t always necessary to have a person in your photos but some scenes do benefit quite nicely when you do. If you are alone then do as Galen Rowell used to do, put yourself out in the photo. Try wide angle with sweeping backgrounds or go in tight for detail.

The southwest has some of the most intense flowers in the world. Try different angles. Lots of people just shoot down into the flower which can give an incredible angle but sometimes a lower angle will give you an internal glow that you won’t see from above. This was shot with natural light just as dawn broke. I used my Thermarest stadium pad to serve as a background and to block out an overly busy background that was distracting.

Most of you find yourselves in places that few people ever will and you do it over and over again. You will see sights out there that can hardly be put down into words. Maybe some of these thoughts will help you capture that rare light striking a magic landscape whether it be deep in the stunning deserts or high on a sub-alpine slope. Experiment, revel in the light and compose the elements in search of the secret to the fabric that holds it all together.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/8/2004, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your photos are awesome and thank you so much for taking time to give out these tips. Composition is everything.
That's also why I hike solo a lot, I take a photo, walk a few feet, squat down, climb up, take it again. It sometimes drives my friend Jerry crazy. But just walking a few feet can change the angle of sun enough to get the sky, or dampen the light on a wall or tree. Sometimes that little bit of adjustment can really change what you see.
After all, you might not walk there again. Thats what my photos do for me. I look at them and go on that journey all over again.
IAHiker

PostPosted: 6/9/2004, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen,

I always enjoy reading your topics and seeing your great photos. It gives me ideas for when I take pictures on my next hike. Idea Thanks for the photo tips.

-Mark
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 6/9/2004, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, great tips on Photography, just what I was looking for Laughing please keep em coming! You are one of the best (and I need all the help I can get)

Thanks for sharing

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/9/2004, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
Glen, great tips on Photography, just what I was looking for Laughing please keep em coming! You are one of the best (and I need all the help I can get)

Thanks for sharing

GB

I have to fully agree, but I need to get a camera first! In the mean time, I'm just bookmarking and hoping to use the information in the future.

Mary
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 6/9/2004, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Muse about to be incised by T-Rex teeth and other tips Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:

Remember, don't center every portrait. If you recall the portrait done on one of their extreme hikes that JW63 took his avatar from, he was well lit in the foreground off to the right a bit and Sunhiker was offset to the rear and to the right. It was a brilliant composition and excellent lighting maybe from overcast skies. That was handled as good as they come. ( I am taking this from memory so if it is bit off in accuracy, you know why)
Excellent memory, Glen. We owe HikerInGilbert all the credit for that one. HIG gets it right more than a few times, too.

BoyNhisDog wrote:
Most of you find yourselves in places that few people ever will and you do it over and over again. You will see sights out there that can hardly be put down into words. Maybe some of these thoughts will help you capture that rare light striking a magic landscape whether it be deep in the stunning deserts or high on a sub-alpine slope. Experiment, revel in the light and compose the elements in search of the secret to the fabric that holds it all together.
Thanks so much for your post(s), Glen. Your compositions are a pleasure in both words and pictures.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 6/9/2004, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you all enjoyed it. I am lucky to have a patient hiking partner. Been a long windy, bumpy flying day and company has just arrived so I sure I'll have more to say later.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 6/9/2004, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW, I wondered who took that shot. Kudos to HikerInGilbert. That was just perfect. Too bad I can't keep up with you and Kent. I would have liked to photograph that Four Peaks epic, high adventure in rock from the basement of time, formed before any life was on this planet. Well, at least I got to read about it.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 6/10/2004, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Keep up? Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
JW, I wondered who took that shot. Kudos to HikerInGilbert. That was just perfect. Too bad I can't keep up with you and Kent. I would have liked to photograph that Four Peaks epic, high adventure in rock from the basement of time, formed before any life was on this planet. Well, at least I got to read about it.
An interesting aspect of HIG's pic is that I had that wry (OK, stupid?) expression because I was just about to blow past him, and he wouldn't see me again below the summit. Behind me Gb was laughing because she knows I can't stand to be immobilized. HIG got the pic, I got the summit and GB chuckled all the way...

Glen, you don't know how many of us are fans of yours. And, while most of us don't get to hike with you, at least we get to see the pics! Thanks, again!

And, BTW, I think keeping up is a non-issue (even with Heat's pacing :)) ). Usually Heat pauses to grab a pic, I'm so deeply into the scene that I forget to get the cam out and suddenly we're off again! So the average pace (with photography) is somewhere near "normal", hah-ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: