ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dragoon/Huachuaca Mountains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevInPa

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 7:47 am    Post subject: Dragoon/Huachuaca Mountains Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will be in the Tucson area for a few days this April.
Has anyone hiked in these mts.? I just found a website for a hiking club in Tucson. I previously thought that these were hard to reach by car.
Seems like only about an hour 45 minutes from Tucson.
The Cochise Stronghold Trail reads like it would be a GREAT hike.
Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.....Kevin
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kevin,

Are you interested in backpacking, day hiking or car camp and hike?

I have been to both the Dragoons and the Huachucas.

Cochise Stronghold Trail is wonderful and just right for a full day hike. The Huachucas are about a two hour drive from Tucson and the Dragoons are about the same. There are other places a little closer to town that are about as nice.

Let me know what kind of stuff you want to do and I will try to come up with some ideas.

dd
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Tucson area and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cochise Stronghold and anything in the Chiricahuas has been on my want list for a while.

GTG
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:05 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go for Saguaro N.P. I know from experience that it has a lot to offer in trails and everything you need. Post me if you want more info.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 2/24/2004, 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kevin, how intense do you want to do? There is Mt. Wrightson not too far from Tucson, couple of us just hiked Rincon Peak, then there is Finger Rock Canyon - this one is right there in Tucson. These are just to mention a few. All the ones mentioned above give you a real good workout, trust me!

Enjoy your visit.
GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/24/2004, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Kevin! How you doin'? You gonna get up in this area on your visit? Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/24/2004, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kevin: The Huachucas have, unfortunately, been overvisited by illegal imigrants. This has resulted in trash along the trails, potential security threats to solo hikers, and auto thefts/breakins at the trailheads. If you are driving a rental car, the latter concerns are somewhat lessened, at least as long as you don't leave valuables in the car. In the backcountry, be careful, and if that fails, as the old timers used to say, "Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup."

The Cochise Stronghold area of the Dragoons, the Chiricahua Wilderness & Nat'l Monument, and the Mt. Wrightson area of the Santa Ritas would be better choices right now. The Chiricahuas are about 90 minutes further; but wow, what a place. If you are driving a small sedan, aim for the National Monument. Campgrounds, great day hiking trails, awesome one-of-a-kind area. In the monument, all the roads are paved. If you have access to a high clearance vehicle, the Chiricahua Wilderness is also great. Most trailheads are accessible only from dirt roads, some of which are long with steep switchbacks. Four wheel drive not required but I wouldn't take a subcompact there. Inquire about the roads in advance, Coronado Natl Forest, Douglas Ranger District. These areas range from 4,000 to 10,000 feet altiitude, so slight snow may linger into April, but only in the higher areas. -R
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 2/25/2004, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On a recent blast back into time, Arizonaheat and I were on a cowboy road trip to Bisbee and Tombstone when I was heavily drawn to the Dragoons. They lie east of Tombstone, and from that vantage point, they looked magically inviting. I couldn't take my eyes off them. It is believed that the great apache warrior Cochise is secretly buried somewhere in the area. I think there is definite power there, most likely wonderful to explore. Hope to get the chance. I also read that it is a popular area for climbers/rapellers. FYI, Tombstone is a really fun place to spend the night or hang out...just like being in the old wild west. The people there are very friendly and they dress up like cowboys, marshalls and saloon girls and hang out in town. Smile
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/26/2004, 12:04 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of blasts from the past, going to Key West, Florida for spring break!!! Which I havnt' been there since I was like 8 years old I think. I cant wait to get out of the snow that is Pennsylvania. 20 degrees to 80 degrees. Only a week and half left!!! March 7- March 14 Bouncing yoyo Spinning on my head Yep, it's a swimmer! Multi Applause Margarita! Margarita Diablo Shades Beer Agree Beer Beer Beer Yep, it's a swimmer! Beer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: