ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rincon Peak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 9:36 am    Post subject: Rincon Peak Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some specs on this hike up to the Rincon Peak who have actually done it themselves. This hike looks pretty tuff and long but I definitly want to do it here sometime soon. Any questions or anyone w/ info, email or post it for me. Thanks.
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 9:50 am    Post subject: Rincon Peak Reply to topic Reply with quote

Probably the best way to approach the Peak is by coming up the east side of the range starting at Miller Canyon Trailhead. Lots of elevation gain (and loss) but doable in a day. Off the top of my head, I'd say the elevation of the peak is just over 9000 feet. It has been twenty years since I have done the peak. I know they keep the trail in good shape.

The campsite at Happy Valley is a good place to set up for the night and do the peak the next day. Or, get to the campground early and do the peak in the afternoon.

Right now, there is snow up there. I'm not sure how deep but, I bet, on the north face it is aleast a couple of feet.

If you end up staying the night in the Rincons, consider looking into a permit from the Park Service.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rincon Peak summit is 8450 feet and although guidebooks rate it as the hardest hike in southern Arizona, there are several others that are much more difficult. This is a day hike for most.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/16/2003, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Several of us did this a couple months ago. 16 miles I believe, a good hard day hike. Lots of elevation, and very steep at the end. We came up from the east side. Just keep driving north on the road, you will see a big sign where the road t-bones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: