ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Toughest Hike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 7:02 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
So cool it. Please. Agree

Wonder how many times we have to inform people that these kinds of personal attacks are NOT what this site is all about before they get it. Other sites may consider this kind of flaming acceptable; this community does not.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Emil Zapotek This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
HikerInGilbert wrote:
So cool it. Please. :agree:

Wonder how many times we have to inform people that these kinds of personal attacks are NOT what this site is all about before they get it. Other sites may consider this kind of flaming acceptable; this community does not.

Rodger that, Hooli.

BTW people it was "Emil Zapotek".

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 7:41 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Who cares whos dad can beat up who. I can't wait until recess is over so I can go eat some more paste.

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 7:42 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

No it was Zatopek. with a "k"

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Andy

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Who has the slowest time? I think I would prefer to hike with them anyway!

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 7:45 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
Who cares whos dad can beat up who. I can't wait until recess is over so I can go eat some more paste.

Shudd up cheesehead... don't you mean go eat more "squeaky cheese"?

rofl
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 8:00 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Sorry! It was just an opinion regarding the value of Squaw Peak and Camelback Mountain in conditioning for "epics", not an insult, from me, to anyone on the site!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 8:28 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

This right here is the best example why this site can only function as a community if all the members are willing to be upfront and honest (and by that I mean socially interact with other members outside an internet forum). I have to say that squawbacks attacks at pfredricks really made me want to side with pete. I've met pete, I know what he's capable of and I know that he respects the community enough to get out and actually hike with people. Pete has actually shown that he's a serious hiker. All squabak and sidhayes have done is tell us what great hikers they are. I don't mean that as a personal attack. I only mean it in the sense that I find it easier to accept what pete says over the other two because I have met him. I know he's real, and I know what he says is for real. I'm not saying that you need to hike with everyone, or go to all the group events (to be honest, I don't have any desire to hike with either one of you, frankly I couldn't keep up and I really wouldn't want to, most of the fun of going out is getting to see the country, I don't think I'd see much at those speeds) but you could make a personal appearance once in a while, it would keep discussions like these from popping up...
JW

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Who/what/where This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

ajcanable wrote:
No it was Zatopek. with a "k"

Various spellings work because of the way the general purpose search engines work.

Take a look: http://www.bartleby.com/61/43/Z0004350.html

"SYLLABICATION: Za·po·tek
PRONUNCIATION: zäp-tk
DATES: Born 1922
Czech distance runner. After winning the gold medal in the 10,000 meters at the 1948 Olympics, he won gold medals in the 5,000 meters, the 10,000 meters, and the marathon at the 1952 Olympics.".

He was unreal and a hero, because of the (really) limited training they did in those days. The big diff (the main reason for sub-four minute miles in H.S. these days) is that they didn't stretch like we do and they didn't cross-train (like biking, running, swimming, hiking, climbing, pumping iron, etc. that we do as a matter of course). Stretching is the key, sport fans.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 8:41 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I have never said I was a "great" hiker, and only celebrities make "personal appearances"! The point is, still, whether or not , the two mountains are worth doing as a conditioning hike for epics. But, well, ...... it sounds like I will have to come out on a epic hike with you guys and gals to show if I am a "serious hiker!"
JW

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Epic/any This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

sidhayes wrote:
I have never said I was a "great" hiker, and only celebrities make "personal appearances"! The point is, still, whether or not , the two mountains are worth doing as a conditioning hike for epics. But, well, ...... it sounds like I will have to come out on a epic hike with you guys and gals to show if I am a "serious hiker!"

Hey Sid,

You'd be welcome to hook-up on any hike, Epic or not. Hope you can make some outing soon.

Daryl

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 9:08 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

squeaky cheese, AKA cheese curds.

MMMMMMMMMMM!

Is how someone likes to train really worth arguing about?

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 9:10 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Squawback and Sidhayes -
This community is a group of non pretentious individuals who happen to love hiking. There are hikers of all different abilities from those who hike Cback and Squaw peak in under 20 min without breathing hard to those who are new to the sport and tire after the easiest hikes. These hikers and members range in ages from the 20's to the 60's. There are all different abilities and experience levels. The one common factor is that all love to hike. None of our members care who can outhike who. That's not what we are all about. That's not to say that many of us don't have personal goals; which may be to get to the sub 20 min mark on Cback or to hike Ridgeline in the Supes. But the goals are PERSONAL and our reasons for reporting on our hikes is not to "blow our own horn" or to draw attention to our feats, rather we report on our hikes to share the adventures with the others (some good, some bad).
The undertone of your posts are all about you and your achievements. That's not what this community is about.

If you are so enamored with your times and heroic achievements, post your first place ribbons on your bulletin board next to your bed where you can see them first thing in the morning and can feel good about yourself all day.

roger

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 9:19 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Now everyone take a deep breath Shades and call it a night.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 9:52 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:

Now everyone take a deep breath and call it a night.

Amen to that! Both sides, please, let's stop the attacks!

For those who don't believe Sid, do some searches on speed climbing. There are some people who do some pretty amazing stuff out there. We don't know Sid, therefore, who are we to judge the truthfulness of his claims? Why does he need to prove anything to any of us anyway?

Sid and Squawback, rather than come out with us to show what a great or serious hiker you are, why not just come out sometime to enjoy a great hike, with a great group of people!

Let's have peace, y'all!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: