ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GoLite products?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 11:29 am    Post subject: GoLite products? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Question Anybody here used any of GoLite's products?

http://www.golite.com/

Specifically their packs? In my never-ending quest to shave off pack weight, I'm looking at three of their backpacks - The Speed, Gust and Racer. I've read some reviews already. Mostly good with some conditional OKs. I'm curious if there is some local experience with these. Hey Thanks!

-Nealz
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used the racer but it is fragile material, costs too much and I believe one can do better getting a basic pack with a waist band. With a carrying capacity of up to 4000cu, it can cost as little as $50.00, last much longer, carry much heavier weight in it ( if you wish). I have carried as much as 70 pounds with it on training hikes, and have run with it on mountain trails with 30 and 40 pounds. Or....make your own....the Jardine way.
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

think hackberry, prickly pear cactus,agave, creosote,and other poky,sticky,stuff. Rolling Eyes I too have wanted to get a lighter pack, but with these things in mind, have to think about how many times i've brushed against these things on a narrow,unkept trail..Like Barnhardt to Y-bar basin. I'm curious to see who owns one too! I maybe looking into a silnylon tarp, at least you have some choice where to set it up. Look into REI's garage sale Saturday, that's where I'll be. My packs zipper is ruined, I'm thinking about maybe getting them to fix it....
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: GoLite products? Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="Nealz"]Specifically their packs? In my never-ending quest to shave off pack weight...-Nealz[/quote]

Hey Nealz what are you down to now? Before water, food and toys? (Base weight) I'm at about 28 pounds. Add in everything else and it is up to about 45 pounds.

I remember the early days of carrying 65 pounds. Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

I've never tried GoLite.

dd
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Base weight, for me, in summer is 11 pounds, a weekend overnight with a total between 16-22 pounds depending on water sources.
mike t

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

also check out GVP gear
http://www.gvpgear.com/
GTG and I met Glen, the owner, in the GC last October. His stuff looked promising, but I haven't really checked it out yet. I have an acquaintence who owns one of his packs and he seems to like it pretty well.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Go-Lite Reply to topic Reply with quote

Summit Hut advised me that go lite was designed for those who really do subscribe to the Jardine school of packing. They had a number of customers who had problems when they tried to overload the packs.

I was looking for a new day pack for my "take it just in case" philosophy. Summit Hut sold me an Osprey Eclipse 36 which may be a tad more than you are looking for in terms of volume. I tend to carry raingear, full medical kit, extra food and water. extra clothing and whatever could be needed in the event a bivoac needs to occur.

It is a very well built pack and I'm pleased with the suspension. for overnighters I have a Gregory Forester internal frame and for longer trips I use an old North Face frame pack or the big daddy, a Dana K2 Loadmaster. I think Dana, Osprey, Arc'Teryx and Gregory are ahead of the pack on current design.

The Jardine method is based on the philosophy of moving fast and light. My maximum speed is about 3mph, and thats on fairly well groomed fairly level trails below 9k. In rough terrain like the Supers or Mazatzals, or above 10k, I slow down to about 1.5 to 2, or even less. If you can motate at 3-5mph, you can sometimes run away from trouble, but that doesn't work for old slugs (sorry Olesma) like me. -R
ck1

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done a few "adventure races" and Go-Lite are quite popular with that crowd. I know they are the prefered sponsor of the current reigning AR team...Ian Adamson is the Michael Jordan of the sport, and he swears by Go-lite. Chris Townsend speaks highly of their products as well in his book Crossing Arizona (don't know if he was sponsored or not)...

Some of the clothes interest me, but as for the packs...unless I was to return to racing, I don't think it's what I'm looking for...I'm not a huge packer, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable with the Jardine method....

Quality wise, go-lite packs are well regarded, from the weekend warrior level up to eco-challenge participants.

just an opinion...

"The Journey is the Destination"
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't tested any Go-lite stuff myself but there are a few reviews on www.backpackgeartest.org.

I prefer the Ultimate Direction packs. They are pretty lightweight sinc e the company started as a running product manufacture. The one I have is very low weight, hold two 120 oz water bladders and offers 2600 cu in of space for gear. They are also durable enough to handle AZ conditions. I've had mine for a couple of years and even though it's very used, it's looks shiney and happy still!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/11/2003, 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I own a GVP and currently use a frameless pack (kelty vapor) because I took the stays out. Learning how to pack the pack is really important. I use my thermarest folded lengthwise and then one more fold top to bottom. Leave the valve away from your body and lay the thing flat against the back of the pack with the valve up. Pack like you normally would being careful to put heaviest things high and near your back and balance the load. Now cinch your compression straps. When you are finished put about three good breaths into the thermarest.

This works great with a web belt up to maybe 22 pounds. After that I would want to put the frame back in. I had close to thirty pounds in mine last trip and I was not totally comfy until the weight came down.

As I am sure you already know traveling really light means being careful with your gear. If you are the throw it down anywhere kind of person then you will be sorry you bought the pack.

Robert uses the frame and the padded belt with his Kelty Vapor. We reallly love these packs but I hate to recommend them because they cost so dang much. The material is white which is great for the no shade places we go--your food does not cook in the pack. The fabric is super tough too. The vapor has been discontinued and replaced with the Cloud. We bought ours on a close out sale for a third of what a full priced one costs just so you don't get to thinking I am made of money.
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/11/2003, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Take a look at the packs at http://www.ula-equipment.com . They are very well thought-out and will be custom built for you. I use their P-2 model.

Also, if you're looking for detailed gear reviews for lightweight equipment, a good site is http://www.backpackgeartest.org . If you are interesting in testing gear for manufacturers (and getting to keep the gear in exchange), you can do it through this website.

Lizard
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Plenty of good info here folks, I appreciate it. For multi-day pack trips I'm using an Arc'Teryx Bora 65 with about 4200 ci. This is a great pack. The shoulder straps and waist belt feel like they're not even there and the thing is plenty durable in the catclaw, acacia and other pokey, pointy stuff we 'Zoners put up with out there. But it weighs in at a svelte 6lbs. 5 oz. empty. I know I can do bettern' that.

DD- Without water, I'm packing around 27 to 30 lbs., depending on what kind of chow I include. My sons gave me a .5 oz Snow Peak Ti 'Spork' which is all I'll need for eating. My biggest concerns are durability and spendyness, as Lizard and Sid touched on. The GoLite Sport, in Silite, looks awfully thin. But I like that it includes a hydration sleeve and a sternum strap

Tho some may think this a little anal, me included, I weighed all my gear, a piece at a time, on a good kitchen scale. It's surprising how all the little marginal things add up.

Ray Jardine, for those who aren't familiar with him, espouses a very low weight approach to backpacking which makes a lot of sense. He does too.

Some years ago, I herniated two discs in my back performing stupid home improvement tricks. After a few months of really intense pain, the threat of surgery and the possibility of not backpacking anymore, my doc, who also backpacks, said I'd be good to go out again. But only if I seriously reduced my pack loads. I've been doing that ever since and the difference is truly amazing. I know I'll do more about this and now, a lighter pack is the next step. Thanks.

-Nealz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: