ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Canyon River Rafting triplog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/21/2011, 6:52 am    Post subject: Grand Canyon River Rafting triplog Reply to topic Reply with quote

July 24 to Aug 9 I spent on the Colorado River in Grand Canyon--16 days, 280 miles. It was a private trip, which is the best kind to be on, in my opinion. I had a chance to learn to row, and got the boat through a lot of small rapids. I am still a newb at rowing, though.

We did quite a few side hikes. I liked Saddle Canyon. Deer Creek Patio and Matkatamiba were pretty but too crowded for my taste. Bert's Canyon was neat, too. I also hiked Hermit Creek up to the big swimming hole at the backpacker campground.

Saw a lot of things most people don't see because I was in a boat with an old Canyon hand. Lots of historical stuff, and interesting trivia and tidbits.

It was gorgeous every day, and the weather was great, although very warm. The people in the group did not always get along very well, though. That can be a problem on private river trips.

The boat I was in flipped in Lava Falls, the biggest rapids in the Canyon. It was running between 27,000 and 28,000 that day. There is a video of it that I have posted on Arizona Hikers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001126146095

The flip was scary, I guess, but I really didn't have time to be very scared. Just had to concentrate on taking breaths before being slapped in the face with another big wave, sort of like surfing!

We did the night float to Pierce Ferry, which most of us thought was a highlight of the trip. By then we had a moon, and although it is Lake Mead, the river current is still present and you float between 5 and 9 mph. You just have to be careful to not fall asleep and go over Pierce Ferry rapids! There was really no chance that we would do that, though, and we arrived at the take-out at 11 p.m.

What an epic trip! Photoset here: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albus23&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/21/2011, 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds and looks like a nice trip there. You were waiting for this for awhile and posting with anticipation.
Glad you were able to go and had a wonderful time.

Nice rowing shot with the Big smile on your face

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/7/2011, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You look like an pro at this oaring thing!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/7/2011, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
You look like an pro at this oaring thing!

Well, not quite, but I did pick up some skill on the trip, and hope to add to it over the next year or so. I did row a lot of riffles and small rapids.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/15/2011, 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looked like a great time, I hope to make a trip one day. I bet the flip was a bit scary. Looked like you would have to float down for a while to get picked up, or were you able to make it to shore after the rapids?

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/15/2011, 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had to float the second rapid, called Son of Lava. The pro boatman from WRA saw me before then, and indicated he would get me after the second rapid. I really was not all that scared. I used to surf, so, having waves slap me in the face is not new. I had a big-water lifejacket on, and I had pulled the straps very, very tight before we ran it. You see, it was the worst looking rapid I have ever seen, so we really battened down the hatches.

The WRA boatman picked up Amanda and me, but our boatman, Mike, floated down another mile. The WRA boatman was tripleader for his group. He was in an oar boat. A motor raft from his group eventually got to Mike after a lot of handwaving and pointing went on. The gal on the motor raft was unable to pull Mike out of the water--he is a very big guy. So, he told her to tow him to shore, which she did. (He later wrote a thank-you letter and sent it to their boss.)

While Amanda and I waited for our group to pick us up off the WRA raft, we watched two more flips. One from our group, and one from Grand Canyon Youth's group. They were all fine and were able to stay with their boats and reflip them quickly.

We lost off the raft the following items: An oar and a sponge. We lost our $10 sunglasses off our faces, also. My $400 Rx glasses were in the big dry box, and it had 6 cam straps holding it to the frame, so it was fine.

Our raft was found upsidedown, almost 10 miles downstream. It was full of weeds, but it was amazing to get aboard and find everything shipshape.

The current in that area is so strong it would be very hard to swim to shore. If there was no one there to rescue you, your best bet would be to relax and float downstream a couple of miles to where it calms down a bit, and then try to get to shore. The water was not cold, since Lava Falls is at Mile 179.

All of this is different right now, since in the fall the dam releases less water. This is part of a five year study plan on the effects of the dam. When we run the river next September (on my permit) it will be running at 16,000. It was likely at about 28,000 at Lava Falls that day. Pretty crazy.

I love it! I just applied to a very selective river guide school via Wilderness Aware. They train people to be paddle raft guides. Hope they choose me. If not, (if they think I am too old) there are other schools that I could go to.
psnative

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I couldn't find your video of Lava Falls. Hope it wan't this bad.

[img]<a>Lava Falls</a>[/img]

We didn't flip when we went, but we sure got wet.

[img]<a>Grand Canyon</a>[/img]
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, amazing nothing really got lost or damaged. I guess they are prepared for that kind of thing. 10 miles down river though, that's crazy. I can't imagine the winter trips when I would only see a raft or two on the river for the day. Glad all was well in the end.

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fixed it for you psnative

We didn't flip when we went, but we sure got wet.

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, winter trips I guess you might not see anyone but your own group for days.

PS native, some neat photos there! If you have Facebook the video is on Arizona Hikers Facebook page. It is also on Hikearizona.com Facebook page. I finally was able to upload it to my computer but haven't put it on Youtube yet.

I hear there are more videos of the flip taken by WRA people.
psnative

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, That must have been exciting...maybe a little scary? The water looks very "colorado red". You must have had some cool thunderstorms. We started out & the water was greenish then red after some thunderstorms but not that red. I'll never forget the flash floods/waterfalls coming off the different levels of the canyon. I guess the water was too high to go to the right like the boat in the pic? thats the way we went too.

jim
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No way you could do the right run. A lot of folks have asked about that. It was running at about 28,000. The boatman I was with had always done the right run in the past with no problems. There was only one way to run it, just to the left of the ledge hole and to the right of another big hole that was by the shore. It was a very narrow window of opportunity, and all the hydraulics were pulling you into the hole. However, our boatman also said, he knew he was way too far out in the middle of the river, but by the time he realized it, it was too late. Oh, well, it was a great experience! I was not all that scared, I didn't have time to be scared.
psnative

PostPosted: 9/17/2011, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

@Davis...what did I do wrong when I posted those pics? I did img/pic & then preview which added img to the end. always worked good in a similar forum.

jim
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/16/2014, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just read your trip report from the oar boat trip you took in 2011. It sounded fun! I have been on 2 commercial trips with 18 souls each time. I had a great time and will do a third trip in 2015. (reference my post) I have backpacked all over the canyon and can't get enough. River trips offer access to so many places that are near impossible to reach on foot. Sure is a lot easier to get to Elves Chasm from the river!
When I opened your post, I was surprised to see your pic from Marble Canyon. I have nearly the exact shot! Mine was taken at near identical sun angle but just a bit closer to the riffle that hugs the left side. I can't seem to attach it, here.
If you ever get back, be sure to hike up Monument Creek from Granite rapids. (or via the Tonto from east or west) Not only is the spire (monument) really cool, but the stream comes sluicing down a narrow channel in slick rock. It then spreads out onto a boulder bed and disappears underground, popping out in a trickle just about 200 yards before the river.
Thanks for posting. Don
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/16/2014, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi, Don, I had my own permit in 2012 and went again! I had an invitation for a 2013 run as well (private as well) but was unable to go. At the present time I am trying to find a summer trip. I hated having to say no to that one in Sept.

I have hiked to Elves Chasm, and yes, it is a lot easier to get to from the River! I have hiked up Monument Creek from the river. (Also have camped there on a backpacking trip.) I rowed Granite Rapids the next day. That is the biggest rapid I have rowed. It is not technical compared to many others, but it is huge!

Thanks for your message!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: