ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Valley fever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
valleyfever

PostPosted: 5/18/2013, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Valley fever Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has any one on this board contracted valley fever (coccidioidomycosis) while hiking in Arizona? I am from Maine and hiked the Grand Canyon after a monsoon in September 2004 and got Valley Fever, I then worked at the canyon in 2008 and got re-infected. I am just looking to see how other people got treated and how they are doing if their is anyone out there that got this disease.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 5/18/2013, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got valley fever back in 1999 a few weeks after moving to Arizona.

Went to Emergency room twice for very high fever ( 105 plus )

Spend about 10 days recovering and after 13 years I still have side effects that are under control with meds. Could have been worse, people can die from Valley Fever.

I always thought that once you had it you aren't likely to get it again.
valleyfever

PostPosted: 5/19/2013, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never got treated successfully the first time--east coast doctors know nothing about VF--when I went to work at the canyon, I figured I had VF already so whats the worst that can happen. It is in my spine and I can hardly walk now. (at least the meningitis symptoms are gone and I don't cough up blood anymore) Still can't get proper treatment--doctors don't know what to do. I had 2 completely give up on me saying they were in over their head with this disease.
diamondbacks

PostPosted: 5/19/2013, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis) is actually much more common here in the Southwest than most people realize. If you live here (or visit here) long or often enough you will likely be exposed. For most people the symptoms are very mild and resolve on their own and no treatment is usually necessary. In fact you may not even know you were exposed. But for some people, especially for those who have a weakened immune system it can be a serious infection requiring prolonged anti-fungal medication to treat. The fungus that causes the disease can also lay dormant in your lungs after initial exposure and reactivate at a later time, for example in transplant patients on immune suppression or cancer patients on chemotherapy. I've included a couple of links below with good reviews on the topic.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/epi/disease/cocci/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/valley-fever/DS00695
valleyfever

PostPosted: 5/19/2013, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was treated for lyme disease in 2002 and was not aware but I also had bartonella (both tick borne illnesses) when I first got VF in 2004 hence the suppressed immune system. I used to love hiking in the Grand Canyon. My rim2rim hike in 2003 was amazing. I stayed at Phantom Ranch many times. Even though I live on the East coast, I flew to AZ to hike every year. Unfortunetly I will probably never be able to hike any where ever again Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: