ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Keet Seel - 5/31/13 - 6/2/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(6) One slot left to register. (0) 10 slots left to register.
User
Hikngrl
desertgirl
Hnak
bigfoot
diamondbacks
chihiggs
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
PostPosted: 2/7/2013, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Keet Seel - 5/31/13 - 6/2/13 Reply with quote

Keet Seel - May 31st - June 2nd

(Optional June 2nd hike to Betatakin and/or a side-trip to a "Special" place)

This is an overnight backpacking trip to one of the most pristine ruin sites in the desert Southwest. Only 20 visitors per day are allowed to visit the ruins. We have a permit for 10 people. We hike out as a group Saturday morning, and visit the ruins with the ranger that stays on-site.

The hike down from Navajo National Monument NP is about 8 miles through some of the most beautiful country you'll find in Arizona.

The trail looks to be of "moderate" difficulty which, of course depends upon your ability.

You'll lose about 800 feet in elevation in the first 3/4 mile, which is good news on the way there, bad news on the way back! The rest of the hike out has about 400 feet of gain in one area, followed by a 300 foot descent and a slow incline of 400 feet the rest of the way to the site.

Here's the plan:

* Arrive Friday night, May 31st.
* Pick a campsite in Sunset View campground (this one has a bathroom & water, but no showers)
* Form up as a group on Saturday morning, 8:00AM sharp to hear the mandatory instructions from one of the park Rangers.
* Hike as a group to Keet Seel. We are all on 1 permit. We must hike together.
* Set up camp at the Keet Seel camping area.
* Take Ranger-led hike to the ruins. They take small groups of 5-7 people at a time. The trip lasts bout an hour.
* Explore the area.
* Have our evening feast and improvised campfire (no actual fires permitted!).
* Breakfast feast Sunday morning.
* Form up as a group at 9:00AM for the hike back to our vehicles.

I suggest that participants get there Friday night and camp in one of the two FREE campgrounds. I have obtained the permit for 10 people for the hike to the ruins on Saturday morning. We must all hike as a group. Please sign up early and be assured of a permit slot.

You'll need to take all water with you that you'll require for the hike down, camping, and the hike out. There is a stream that runs through the valley but it's fouled by the cattle and sheep that roam the area. Heavy metals are also present in the stream.

The only cost for the trip are your expenses to and from Navajo National Monument (carpooling strongly suggested) and your food/beverages.

There are 2 campgrounds in the park (Sunset view-has a bathroom and water, Canyon View is primitive); both of which are FREE!

Since we should be back relatively early Sunday, there's a Ranger-led hike down to Betatakin that you may enjoy That's also an option for anyone that wants to come up, but not go on the overnight to Keet Seel. Navajo National Monument isn't too far from Monument Valley, so that's another possible side-trip.

In addition, for anyone that would like to stop by one of the most interesting (and by interesting I mean a place unlike any you've likely seen anywhere else!) and beautiful places in Arizona, we can take a side-trip on the way back. (It's not the place that I took some of you on the previous Keet Seel excursion, although we can stop there also!!!)

Here's a link to the NP website for general information about the park : http://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm

diamondbacks

PostPosted: 3/16/2013, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ken,

If the last spot is still open, I would love to join your group. Keet Seel has been on my "to do" list for some time.

David
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 3/17/2013, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

David,

The slot has now been filled by... YOU! Actually, there's still an open slot...
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/17/2013, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've actually secured Friday the 31st AND Monday the 3rd off as well. So who has the same days off that wants to carpool? I hope that alternate trip is Coal Mine Canyon Smile

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 4/13/2013, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't do this one right now. But I hope y'all have a great time.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/19/2013, 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like I'm not going to be able to make this afterall. Can someone please take the lead and make this hike happen? The permit is in my name (Ken Ross) for 10 people. Thanks.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/19/2013, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I won't be able to make this one either, I've been invited to a wedding. Very Happy
Take lots of pictures!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
beckett

PostPosted: 4/19/2013, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let me know if anyone does take this over..
I might be able to make this after all.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/19/2013, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, So what does " taking over" include? Does it mean having the permit in my hand when I arrive? Cause I can do that If Ken will send it to me! I wanna go! I already have the time off! Linda we could car pool! Todd isn't going so I would love to have some one to travel with since I have no idea where I am going!!!!

That being said.... I am bummed every one is dropping out! This is a good opportunity I can't believe this one is going through a 'dropping like flys " phase!

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/20/2013, 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, the permit is picked up from the office. You have to attend a briefing by a ranger either the night before or the morning of the hike. That,s it! The permit is in my name. I can change it to your name or you can just pick it up and explain the circumstances.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/20/2013, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So let's see if we can fill this permit back up! I will take reponsibility of picking up the permit if every one else on the list is still planning to go. Ken please contact the office and have the name on the permit changed so I don't have any problems when I get there.... I see the permit holder is suposed to call in and confirm about a week out. So I will do that and hope by that time we have the permit filled by excited participants!

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/21/2013, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Golly Gee Gosh !!
I WAS Excited

Thought I was going to be able to make it, but It isn't going to working out for me! ARRRGH! Crying or Very sad

I'm really sorry, I will have to drop out also!
I'm really Sad I have to miss this one, a place I'd really like to see.

My hopes are now for the Jun GHOTM !
I'm gonna try H or High water to get myself to Something !!! Holy Cow what is up with this year

Diane getting to the location isn't hard. It is all good highways, drive to a Park just like any other, turn off into the Park entrance and follow the road in. Real nice place. End up at the office

Trish and I went to the briefing last time Fri nite, before others got there so we didn't have to attend in the morning. Very accomodating personal

I'm sure if it still is a go, you will all have a Wonderful time!! If you don't reach the permit limit, maybe they will let you change it to less?

Either way, Someone PM me and let me know what the cost was per person I'll pay my share of the permit, since I said I was a go !!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
diamondbacks

PostPosted: 4/21/2013, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm still committed to going and very much looking forward to it. I've taken Friday off work to be able to leave early to get there before dark. I have a four door truck that will comfortably seat five with plenty of room for gear, for anyone who wants to carpool. This should be a great hike! Hopefully we will get a few more folks to sign up.

David (diamondbacks)
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/22/2013, 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane - the permit is now in your name. Thank you for stepping up to take over the hike.
beckett

PostPosted: 4/22/2013, 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried changing things around, but I still can't make this one. Looking forward to April's and June's GHOTM.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/23/2013, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did this a few years ago, I would put some water near the burm, just before you head into the canyon, after the downhill. So you have some on the way out of the uphill! Just food for thought. The Navajo National Campground is a really pretty area! Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: