ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Funky FLora

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
writeronthestorm

PostPosted: 11/28/2012, 11:41 am    Post subject: Funky FLora Reply to topic Reply with quote

Might need some help identifying this berry bush. Any takers?

http://www.writerinthewild.com/2012/11/funky-flora.html
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/28/2012, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok... forgive me I don't know... it is a red berry bush Mr. Green
I'm sure someone here will know or figure it out for you...I can't...looks pretty though

But that Mushroom really looks cool... I've Never seen anything like that !
nice shot!

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/29/2012, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks a little like Heavenly Bamboo...though, I've never seen one out in the wild so... dunno

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/29/2012, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a sumac of some kind but again am not sure

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 11/30/2012, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizona Poison Sumac.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/30/2012, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

John,

Maybe I was on the right track? I seem to recall an Eastern Poison Sumac that looked very similar (as I am from Connecticut).

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 12/2/2012, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, both will cause grief including itch.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/5/2012, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

John,

I grew up with woods and a brook behind my parent's house in CT. We were loaded with poison sumac and ivy but I never got it! My poor brother unfortunately always did. I even trekked through parts of AZ loaded with PI and never got it. Maybe I'm immune

thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 12/10/2012, 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everyone is allergic to poison sumac, ivy and oak. The Urushiol oil in these plants affects everyone if it gets through the skin. Those with tough skin may be less susceptible, but not immune. It's actually dangerous to feel immune to it since you may feel its OK to touch it and then later rub your eyes and transfer the oil. This stuff is definitely bad news!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/14/2012, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's also a sumac in Arizona which is non-poisonous. I am curious how to tell them apart. I actually was not aware that Arizona has the poisonous variety? I had always thought we just had the nice one!

By the way, mango trees have some of that oil, and if you have one in your yard, as I did in Hawaii, and do a lot of pruning, etc. you can get the same rash. My friend ended up in the ER one time due to doing a lot of pruning. You can also get it from the skins of the fruit, if you are very sensitive to it. I have gotten it from the fruit skins before. I soon learned to first peel the fruit, then set it aside, and then wash my hands and arms very thoroughly with a lot of detergent and water. Then I would cut up the fruit with a knife and fork and eat it that way, not just stuff it in my face.

But since returning to the Mainland I have eaten many, many mangos, and have never gotten "mango rash" as it is called in Hawaii.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: