ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
My Fractured femur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 5/27/2012, 4:37 pm    Post subject: My Fractured femur Reply to topic Reply with quote

On May 7th on my typical jaunt at Papago, in stepped into a gulley , my heel turned into a 360 threw me into the air and bounced on a rock and dislocated my femur and split the top in 3 parts. Sudden, terrifying and shocking. In wasn;t even on t he trail yet. Femur went into pelvis and caused lots of soft tissue damage. I had surgery May 9th with a 10: rod inserted. I am home since Fri a week ago and have daily pt a walker,and no driving for a month. Not sure when I will go back to work. I have never broken a bone and the pain is indescribable. I thank God I am strong and all the years of weight training i have made my bone density ,according to Dr Evangelista, the most dense and strong he has ever seen and how freaky the twist must have been to have caused this. Anyway day by day, some good, some bad, I will get through this, but no hiking here for awhile! Crying or Very sad
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/28/2012, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OMG! That's terrible. All the best.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 5/29/2012, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks,Shawn. Getting stronger every day.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 6/4/2012, 10:36 am    Post subject: Leg Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz; sorry to hear about your leg. Considering your comment about physical condition; I assume I am singing to the choir with this comment but...keep up that physical therapy. A few years back I did a number on my shoulder and couldn't "find" the time for therapy. I have since regained only about 85% range of motion...regret not "finding" the time.

I will send some good vibes out hoping they help.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/5/2012, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gee George, really sorry to hear this but glad you were able to get it taken care of.
Hope your feeling better and stronger every day !
Take care of yourself

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/5/2012, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz......OMG this is horrible news and I'm hoping that you heal up quick. As Mike said keep up with the PT to keep that joint flexing. Your weight training will hopefully make your recovery a little quicker..........

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/10/2012, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy cow! That's awful! Hope you are healing up fast! Glad to hear about the weight training. I keep talking about it but not doing it...
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/11/2012, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you are healing fast.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/17/2012, 7:54 am    Post subject: Fracture update Reply to topic Reply with quote

Update 6/17 stronger still no driving and on 25% wt, but Dr. said I am way ahead of the game due to bone density and strength. Trish, you probably know what this is.... Stryker Gamma Nail short in my interlocular fracture. Who knew! Anyway, I am staying the course and one day it will be over. Listening to my PT and doing all I can. Never want to do this again! Thanks for all the well wishes!
Suz

PostPosted: 6/22/2012, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

George, just catching up on this. Ouch! Femur fractures are among the most risky. Glad to hear you are healing up.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 7/6/2012, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks all! Update! Released by Dr. Evangelista(awesome surgeon btw), full wt bearing as tolerated! Broke records after surgery seven weeks out. Glad for being a gym rat. Start outpatient p/t next week and hope to work a few days end of month. Will do strength training and gait training so no limp. Been a tough journey and thanks for all the thoughts and thank God for great surgeons ,good friends, and my physical lifestyle. All in here probably do well with injury as we try to keep ourselves fit. This injury and rehab would be really hard for anyone who is not! Good use of my hiking poles now! Yippee Very Happy
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/8/2012, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good to hear GeorgeAz! Keep up the good work and you will be able to do anything you want to do again soon!

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/8/2012, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great News GeorgeAz... glad to hear it

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 8/5/2012, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Update Only 3 more pt visits left. Going well, but having difficulties with left knee and lower back...my left knee had acl surgery in '94, so that side is already compromised, and with my gait and limp, you tend to favor . The little muscles, tendons, etc, that I dislocated from my hip to groin are the ones that will take quite a while to restretch and strenghten. I worked at salon a few days and standing is difficult. It is an ongoing study in patience, humility and pain pills! Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: