ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help make ~9,000 mile trek possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
benmayberry

PostPosted: 6/4/2012, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Help make ~9,000 mile trek possible Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi all,

I hiked the Arizona Trail last year from the Mexico border to the Grand Canyon, where I switched to the Hayduke Trail and continued northward on a long-distance hike. I've planned another long-distance trip for 2013 and it's currently a finalist in a competition for a $10,000 grant from Outside magazine. If I win, it'll help fund this 'little' adventure I have planned that'll consist of exploring roughly 9,000 miles of the Western U.S. by means of foot-travel and packraft. I'm excited that the trip will include returning to one of my favorite areas: the Sonoran Desert, Sky Islands, and Colorado Plateau of Arizona, along sections of the Arizona Trail, Grand Enchantment Trail, hopefully a stretch of packrafting on the Verde River, and an extended route through the Sierra Madrean Sky Islands near the border.

If you want to help make this possible, here's what you can do:
1. Go to http://facebook.com/outsidemagazine and click on the "Outside Adventure Grant" button in the little application bar thing. This'll take you to info on the five finalists and their trips; mine is "Trekking the West". You can vote once per day between now and June 17th.
2. I found the voting application a little difficult to find on their page, so I've posted a screenshot with instructions on my FB page athttp://facebook.com/benjamin.o.mayberry. I'll also be posting more info and reasons to vote for me on the trip to my FB page over the next two weeks.
3. Share this with anyone you know who would want to help make this happen. The winner of this grant is going to be determined by votes and not necessarily merit, so every vote counts.

Of the five finalists, I'm the only one planning to get out and hike; other teams will rely on boats, bikes, and a motorized rickshaw. So if you want to help a fellow hiker seize the day, here's your chance.

Thankful for any support you can offer,
Ben Mayberry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: