ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
havasupai day hike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
rams

PostPosted: 3/1/2012, 10:29 am    Post subject: havasupai day hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've been trying like crazy via phone and email to get reservations for a campsite at Havasupai but with no responses at all. Since it seems like I'll never get through, I had a question about day hiking with no need for a campsite. Is it unacceptable/disrespectful to make my way into the canyon and pay my entrance fee, etc with no reservations if I have no intention of staying overnight?

Based on other forums I've read (that didn't address entrance policies), I'm guessing a lot of people will say it's not a realistic/fun goal to hike there and back in one day. Just as a disclaimer, I've done lots of day-hikes that were over 20 miles roundtrip, each of them with at least 5,000 feet of elevation change each way and at high altitude (ie, 10,000-14,500 feet above sea level). The only variable that might hinder me would be the heat and a possible injury (you never know, right?). That being said, I know my limits and will turn back if physical issues were to somehow arise as I don't have a death wish...yet.

Thanks in advance for any input. Much appreciated!!!
Hnak

PostPosted: 3/1/2012, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It would be a long day hike, to be sure, and you wouldn't have much time to sit and enjoy the falls, but if you're prepared to hike that distance, and the weather was nice, it's certainly a doable hike. There isn't much water along the route, only the last couple miles by the village, so be prepared for that. The only significant elevation change is the first mile and a half, where you drop maybe 1100 feet, the rest of the hike to the village, and past it to the campground (and Havasu Falls) drops another thousand feet or so. If you left early (before dawn), you'd probably have time to enjoy some of the sights before wandering back...

Have fun!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/3/2012, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heat would be a definite issue on this trip. Time of year and the temperature should be considered. you've got a good window for the next month or so then you'd need to wait until fall to do this in my opinion.

GTG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: