ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Years Day Hike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/3/2012, 9:23 am    Post subject: New Years Day Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sooo, New Year's Day was a nice enough day. Our older kids are at their Dad's house; the youngest goes to Gramma's which gives Cristina and I a chance to hike alone for the first time in a coon's age.

We are thinking of a couple different possibilities; messing around at Fossil Creek or hitting Sycamore creek (canyon south side of the Bee-line Highway) near Mount Ord.

Sounds fun right; well it gets a little kooky here in a bit. After going over the topos, we decide to head in at the west end (Round Valley). The canyon splits after 1/2 mile or so. The north branch heads back to the Bee-line but the south branch (at least on the topo) looks fairly narrow and interesting so we thought we would head up that way.

Apparently there is a hiking group that meets out that way... Cris and I are heading up the Sycamore Creek when we decided to stop for lunch. We have gotten a late start and arrive out here at the TH around 11:30am. While sitting at a great little beach, I mention to Cristina that there are a couple of hikers up ahead of us; cool we are having lunch so it will give up a good gap. Well this when I notice something odd. I ask Cristina; "Are those guys wearing any clothes?" She giggles and wondered when I would notice. Then we notice another couple of guys, then a few more, then yet a few more---none of them have clothes on and they all appear to be congregating at a choke point in the canyon meaning we would have to walk right through the center of the group.

Now I am all for "to each his own" and all so I wouldn't normally get my pantry in a bunch about having to hike through a bunch of naked people. But in this case and even at a distance of a 1/4 mile; it did not appear they were out there just being naked.

Cris and I decided to head up the north canyon which took us to a cool little 3 m water fall but ended our trip earlier than desired. It also left us with the curiosity of what lie ahead in the canyon.

We have decided we will need to head back and hope the hiking group has moved on to some place new... Rolling Eyes
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/4/2012, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh now that is pretty funny. But an interesting little hike, I suppose?

Maybe they would have asked you to join in. Ha!

Oh well, another time to check it out again, right? And maybe it would not be so crowded..

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/6/2012, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The hope for Cristina and I is to explore the canyon that Sycamore Creek runs through but alas, it will need to be much less populated if we are going to head down that route.. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: