ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Utah May 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 12/12/2011, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Utah May 2011 Reply to topic Reply with quote

pics from this recap journey----http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albus30&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Just an overview will post separate trips with photos maybe a little more detail--- Drive up as usual with slow traffic in Phoenix and stayed overnight in Page, then up early and north all the way to the San Rafael Swell area. Getting a little too developed for the ATV crowd for my taste but still very nice. Drove to the Hidden Splendor area,and car camped there, hiking the Grand Gorge of Muddy Creek that afternoon. Weather was very squirrelly with 5 minutes of snow while gearing up to go down the creek. Old mining artifacts, easy wet footed hiking and great rising colorful sandstone walls made for a good short hike. Anyway I thought it would be short but in fact almost 4 miles to cut through the Reef, then back. Clouds and sun and wind and a night of feeling the Toyota rock and roll with the wind gusts. Unusual sunset with roiling clouds and snow dusting the top of the Henries and the Loa mountains in the distance. It was cold and I fell asleep with several layers of clothing on in my 20 degree down bag and never got too warm all night!
Next day decided to hike up the first part of Quandry canyon but take the Knotted Rope scramble ( no rope there now and an easy short chimney) to get to the top of the sandstone cliffs over Hidden Splendor mine and Muddy Creek. Very enjoyable off trail with incredible vistas, more old mining artifacts, the old water pipe running almost a quarter mile over some tough terrain, etc.
Moved camp to closer to the backside of the Reef. Decided to hike Crack Canyon in the am prior to departure for Capitol Reef. Crack is a fun canyon with beautiful big sandstone walls and short sections of slots which require some scrambling. Had to take off the pack a couple of times.
Now out to drive to the Cathedral Valley area. Unfortunately got to the Temple of the Sun and Moon at not optimal sun time but got some shots. The drive in was a lot prettier than I remember. I opted to not take the river ford and loop but came in and out on the Caineville road. Car camped in that area and explored a bit at the base of a huge striped bentonite hill.
Warming up drove to Capitol Reef visitor center. This park is often overlooked by Zion and Bryce fans but has some absolutely great hiking. Got the free permit for the Hall Creek trip. Killing some time so hiked Upper Pleasant Creek. No trail and nobody there. Interesting remnants of some power line route through there with the poles all cut down and 2-3 foot stumps and remnants of an old road remaining. The creek there has some "elegant" water, nice little falls and rapids and at times running over slickrock sheets. Found and photographed an 1898 insignia.
Gassed up between visitor center and Torrey, then headed down the Notom road. Pleasant surprise was all the flowers blooming in the valley between the road and the uprise of the Waterpocket fold. Tons of Indian paintbrush, interspersed with a pale lupine like flower. Later millions of purplish small lupines, and sill later millions of globe mallow.
Anyway, got to the Hall creek overlook. Next day took the backpack down that for a couple of days, purpose to photograph the narrows in evening and morning light. It was very warm which was nice for the water wading, only a couple of deep wades. Lots of worked chert and small petrified wood in area. The incredible huge alcove I remembered from years ago still incredible; could stack 100 buses or several full size 747's in there.
I used some five finger slippers/shoes for the Hall creek narrows augmenting them with some Spenco inserts. I hiked 6 miles in them and found them very comfortable but not that great on trying to climb on sandstone, could be just not used to them.

Day three carried pack out, hiked in boots first mile then tried the five finger things again carrying about a 25-28 lb pack,wash hiking with rocks and sandy bench hiking. Then up the 800 foot rocky step trail to the rim. No foot pain and I have really flat, problematic feet.
Pretty good.
Packing car had a wind gust and had the heavy back door try to shut on my right foot. So much for having no foot pain, it swelled and turned red but seemed functional.
Drove on out, stopping for some flower photos and assessing the walking ability. Not so good. Time for ibuprofen and a cold pack.
Decided additional backpacking out of the question. Drove to a car camp overlooking Valley of the Gods, got some sunset shots and slept in. Still touchy with the foot so did a driving tour of the John's Canyon road, a pleasant surprise with views, petroglyphs and a beautiful area of the limestone crossing deep in the broad cottonwood lined valley of John's, with water and bluish limestone ledges. Want to spend more time there when I am ambulatory for sure.
Drove on home to heat and a dirty house, and to process a million pics, but hey, that's what a few more days off are for!!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 12/13/2011, 11:22 am    Post subject: Stellar as usual, Letty! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been waiting for some writeups and pics from you! Thanks. Going to Capitol Reef sometime myself. BYW, stopped in Jerome and saw Katie. She has another book out and asked about you. You should give her a holler or email!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/15/2011, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good Lord Letty! I love the Capitol Reef and Waterpocket Fold area.......What amazing sites are out there. I'm hoping to get to Cathedral Valley in 2012.

The pictures are just awesome

Thanks for sharing them Smile

Mr. Green

Trishie

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 12/22/2011, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow.... so many beautiful picture, hard to pic out just 1 or 2 that I really like.

I do especially like the very last cloud one though. That is beautiful !!!

And the water reflections with the rocks always catch my eye. A very beautiful place indeed.

Interesting petroglyphs too. I always try to understand them, but never really know what they mean or why they were put there.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: