ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tripods and hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erock

PostPosted: 12/14/2011, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Tripods and hiking Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know a number of you on this sight enjoy photography while out hiking (or perhaps enjoy a little hiking while out photographing, either way) so I thought I'd throw a question out to the group.

What sort of tripod do you use while out hiking, especially for longer hikes or backpacking trips? What do you like about your current setup? What don't you like about it?

Right now I'm shooting with a Nikon D90 and a kit lens (18-105mm) but have finally reached a point where I would like to start branching out into different lenses (or maybe even bodies). Telephoto is high on my list for lenses and am toying around with upgrading from the cropped sensor. The D90 is small and light which makes it nice to haul around, though, and since I don't do large prints it really doesn't make that much sense to get a larger, heavier camera.

For my tripod I'm actually using a gorillapod which has worked surprisingly well. It packs small, is very light and is fairly versatile although height is obviously a drawback unless there are some conveniently placed trees or rocks about. I do like that it forces me to shoot from a unique perspective but there are some shots that I've had to pass up on.

I'm currently looking for something that's small, compact and lightweight to make it easier to pack on long hikes but sturdy enough to keep the camera stabilized for long exposures (star trails, for example).
hiking2

PostPosted: 12/15/2011, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have found that using my hiking stick as a monopod is the most readily available means for stability (aside from natural environment rocks, etc.) and adds no weight to my pack. I simply cut off the head of a machine bolt with the same threading as the camera mounts (almost universal) and then "reverse screwed" the threaded portion into the handle of the stick. It protrudes only about 3/8 inch above the handle, but using the handy strap of the stick I can cover the unused threading until needed. I also have one of those 6", fully adjustable tripods, but find that placing camera on rocks, and such, is more readily workable.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/18/2011, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used the Gitzo 0541 legs with this Acratech ball head for a long, long time now. The longest lens I use is 60mm and a wide angle 10-22 is the most used lens. This setup has held it steady for macro work and extremely low light work. The elevations from ground level to chest high give a lot of perspective options. I have carried it for about 80 days this year so far and about that much every since I got it.

They are expensive and surely a lot heavier than your current gorillapod but when speaking of other tripod options it is relatively light weight. Mine have been abused in all weather and tons of sand, still going strong.
Sun Ray

PostPosted: 12/20/2011, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a gorillapod also and love it's flexibly to get into the position and angle I need. Light and easy to use....hard to beat if you are looking for light weight.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/26/2011, 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sun Ray wrote:
I use a gorillapod also and love it's flexibly to get into the position and angle I need. Light and easy to use....hard to beat if you are looking for light weight.

That is what I've been thinking of getting. Or will borrow it from my daughter for my trip. I got a new camera for Christmas! It's one of those waterproof, shockproof, dustproof Fujifilm ones. Perfect for what I do. Fits in my pocket, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: