ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Aravaipa East Side Backpack: Dec 2-4 2011 - Cancelled
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(7) 10 slots left to register. (0) 5 slots left to register.
User
desertgirl
tibber
GTG
paintninaz
Suz
wanderingsoul
sunray
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 8/1/2011, 10:51 am    Post subject: Aravaipa East Side Backpack: Dec 2-4 2011 - Cancelled Reply with quote

CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER IN THE AREA.2 night Backpack. Permits are in &
Here's who is going
1. Desertgirl
2. Suz
3. Angela
4. Wendy
7/8. Paintinaz +1
9. wanderingsoul
10. Trishness

Plan Meet up on Friday at 8:00 am in Globe (do breakfast at Judy's Cook House). From there caravan to TH & hike in and camp.
Sat is do what you want -- One option si to hike up Hell Hole Canyon.
We exit Sunday by Mid day and head home

In case, Friday is too wet -- we can hike in Saturday & exit Sunday.

Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness on Dec 2-4 2011 East Side
Camping the night of 2nd & 3rd!

Trip Description: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2
Trail Head: East Trailhead
The access road is not regularly maintained, and crosses Aravaipa Creek several times in the last 10 miles. High-clearance vehicles are recommended. Towing assistance is 50 miles away. Flash flooding can make the road impassable. Call ahead (928-348-4400) for road conditions.

From Phoenix (188 miles, 4.5 to 5 hours): Take US Highway 60 to Globe. At Globe, continue east on US Highway 70 to the Klondyke Road (8 miles past Ft. Thomas). Turn right onto this graded dirt road, go 24 miles to the "Y" intersection, turn right and go another 16 miles to the trailhead. From the trailhead parking and kiosk, it is a 1.5-mile hike through Nature Conservancy land to the east wilderness boundary.

wrae_lo

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm still in for whatever - however I would probably meet you guys in Globe rather than risk driving on the dirt roads alone in bad weather. Being stuck is no fun.

One thing to note is that access permits for the West end are available on Friday - the benefit being that access to the west side is pretty solid even in bad weather. We could hike in and hang out in a comfy place regardless of weather.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Folks:

In light of bad weather & concerns about road condition -- We will NOT be going in on Friday. I will call the ranger office on Friday afternoon to assess the road conditions. If road conditions are acceptable we will do this backpack. If not, we can day hike some other hike in the area....

Revised plan is for Saturday AM hike in & hike out on Sunday as a backpack. We will plan on meeting up at the turn off from that main US Highway 70 to the Klondyke Road (8 miles past Ft. Thomas) at 9:00 am

If folks would rather make this a day hike (on Saturday or Sunday) -- I am Ok with that as well. Chime in & we can always make changes to plan. Very Happy
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

just a thought...

Although the BLM charges $30 to 'process' a refund, with 10 hikers ($50) it still makes sense money-wise .... with the added bonus that you will open up those (Friday) permits for any last-minute folks who like or don't mind the rain (if it even appears).
I know that I'd appreciate it if I were looking for a last-minute permit.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No one is answering the phone there to take the partial cancellation! Sad I have already tried twice. It has to be cancelled today to fit within the guidelines!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
No one is answering the phone there to take the partial cancellation! Sad I have already tried twice.

Must be the day for their Christmas party.......

Here's the general email address for the Safford office... SFOWEB_AZ@blm.gov

Scott Cooke was or is a Safford BLM field manager; his addy is Scott_Cooke@blm.gov

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Folks:

In light of bad weather & concerns about road condition -- We will NOT be going in on Friday. I will call the ranger office on Friday afternoon to assess the road conditions. If road conditions are acceptable we will do this backpack. If not, we can day hike some other hike in the area....

Revised plan is for Saturday AM hike in & hike out on Sunday as a backpack. We will plan on meeting up at the turn off from that main US Highway 70 to the Klondyke Road (8 miles past Ft. Thomas) at 9:00 am

If folks would rather make this a day hike (on Saturday or Sunday) -- I am Ok with that as well. Chime in & we can always make changes to plan. Very Happy

I will admit, I'm somewhat relieved that we are not hiking in tomorrow. It's pretty chilly outside right now with the drizzle, and I was only out there for a few minutes!! Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't be opposed to making this a day hike either, if others would prefer to also....but with that said, I will be packed and ready for a backpack on Saturday morning, just in case this little storm blows on by. Ok we'll play it by ear!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll prepare for a backpack/camp and be sure to take some warm things and rainy conditions.
But if this turns into a Day Hike, I'm good with that too!

This gives me an extra day to get myself together anyway, so it works for me

Thanks Ambika for giving me a lift, I wouldn't be able to join in without it.

Sorry you won't be joining in Trish, but understand and We'll get you there one of these times I'm sure. This way i can take a good look at road in for future reference and see if my vehicle would actually have made it in Rolling Eyes

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Folks - Cold & Wet is now at 50% for Saturday as well on some weather sites. Cold, Wet & Windy - I think Aravaipa in Fall was not meant to be this year ...
Perhaps a do over in warm spring ?

I am inclined to cancel the whole thing & free up the weekend for XMAS shopping or hiking.

Sometimes the best laid plans just don't pan out....
We might consider some local hike for Sunday ..... Question
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let us know if you put together a local hike for Sunday!

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok -- Permits are cancelled. I have been advised any refunds will take more than a month to process. The person doing cancellation is out so I dont know how much the refunds will be. Once I see what they refund-- I will make $ available to the 10 folks that were on my permit.

NOw to see what we can do on Sunday .....
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Ambika for all your efforts with all of this. Best laid plans don't always work out...just way it goes sometimes.

Wouldn't have been as FUN with weather as it is

I'll keep a watch and check if there is anything happening on Sunday! I'd be interested.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I'm going to hike Butcher Jones Trail out near Sagauro Lake on Sunday if anyone wants to join me. Just PM me.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you reschedule in the spring, I am in, depending on the weekend!!! Sorry this didn't pan out, but you can't predict the weather!
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 12/3/2011, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Our Sierra Club group ended up switching permits to the West end due to road concerns on the East end. The fall color has not quite yet peaked on the west side of Aravaipa Canyon. The fall color should still be good next weekend as there were still lots of green leaves on the trees, especially the cottonwoods.

We lucked out and only had ten minutes of rain during our five hour hike, and the sun was out during that short period of rain. As we were driving out it started pouring.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: