ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Royal Arch via Point Huitzil Trip Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmperry

PostPosted: 11/20/2011, 7:38 am    Post subject: Royal Arch via Point Huitzil Trip Report Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi All -

I recently completed a Royal Arch hike via Point Huitzil that included exploring the old mining camp of William Wallace Bass in lower Copper Canyon. That report can be viewed here:

http://www.allhikers.com
Hiking
Hiking Trip Reports
2011 Royal Arch

As in all my trip reports, clicking on any thumbnail picture takes you to a photo-gallery of larger size pictures. Enjoy.

Richard
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/1/2011, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went there, too, Sept. 28-Oct 3. It was a really interesting hike, but we didn't go to the mining camp you mention. We didn't find any water in Copper Canyon, so we just kept hiking. I see you went later in the season. It was pretty hot the week we went.

I once did a presentation to a local chapter of the AZ Archaeological Soc. about William Bass and his trail. It would have been nice to have seen the Copper Canyon camp. I also camped at North Bass Beach while on a river trip this past summer, but didn't have time to explore much.
rmperry

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth -

It was pretty rough descending into lower Copper Canyon. One of the guys in our group, Bob, had done some research and was positive it went to the old Bass camp. We just were unsure this was the correct entry point. It all worked out as we eventually found an established trail that led directly to the camp.

Did your group go all the way from Toltec Beach to South Bass in one day. That's a long haul.

I've camped at the River beach coming down the North Bass also.

Richard
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well...yes and no. We went all the way to South Bass, electing to NOT take the left (lower) Tonto cutover to the S. Bass waterholes, but instead took the right fork, and hiked all the way to the top of the Redwall. We didn't have enough water, but we had a young fast guy in the group willing to hike to the rim and bring water back to our campsite at the top of the Redwall. So, most of us hiked 20 miles that day and night. The hike up the Redwall was all at night. (That young guy hiked more than 30. He actually brought us the water, then hiked back up to the cars and camped on the rim.) Hiking up the Redwall in the dark actually makes it easier--you can't see anything but the pool of light in front of you from your headlamp.

To make matters more interesting, my boots seemed to no longer fit me, so I hiked most of the way that day and night in Tevas. I have lost several toenails from the boots.

I have new boots now and they worked very well last week when I did Escalante Route (Tanner to New Hance). I post all my triplogs and photos here: http://hikearizona.com/dex2/profile.php?u=24537 But I haven't yet put up all my photos.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/2/2011, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice to see relics from Bass camp! Thanks for sharing. This loop remains as one of my favourite hikes ....
rmperry

PostPosted: 12/11/2011, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth -

That sounded more like a death march than a long day. Wow!!

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: