ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tucson: Multi day hike at Saguaro National Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
C AZ

PostPosted: 8/11/2011, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Tucson: Multi day hike at Saguaro National Park Reply to topic Reply with quote

Edit: Topic was extended beyond my initial inquiry below.

Parking at Madrona (Tucson - Saguaro National Park)
Can one park at/near the Madrona ranger station? Topo and google map shows a gravel road leading to it. But it's not marked as a trail head.

It would be a great location for a 2.5 day hike. I'm thinking of heading in the afternoon up to Grass Shack spring for the first night, then past Manning to Happy Vally Saddle and staying there the second night. Do a quick hike to Ricon Peak and back. Then return to the car at Madrona. Of course it all depend if one can park there.

Other route suggestions are also welcome.
sirena

PostPosted: 8/11/2011, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, unfortunately that ranger station is only for use by the people who live at the X-9 Ranch and forest service personnel. The road you see has a guard shack for the X-9 Ranch and the person will not let you through. There is access from the Camino Loma Alta Trailhead- you can take the newly built portion of the Arizona Trail (called the Quilter Trail). It connects to the trail heading up to Grass Shack about 2 miles above Madrona.

Here's the description of the Quilter Tr. on HAZ: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=16031

Sirena's Wanderings
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Arizona Trail for Fibromyalgia
http://www.aztrail4fms.org
C AZ

PostPosted: 8/11/2011, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Sirena for the quick answer. It's great to hear that new trails are being added.

The Quilters Trail and part of the Hope Camp trail that I would need to take are about 7 miles. So it's probably not the best spot to start with a half day there. I guess Tanque Verde Ridge or Miller Creek Trail it is. Unless there are other hidden jewels (trails) that aren't on the map of the Saguaro Wilderness Area pamphlet.

Thanks again.
C AZ

PostPosted: 8/12/2011, 8:05 am    Post subject: Route suggestions/comments Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's for sure now that I'll be coming to Tucson again for a hike beginning October. Smile In past visit I've done the Wasson Peak out and back (9.8 miles in 4.5h), Bear Canyon - Sabino Canyon Loop (17.5 miles in 7.5h), and Bridal Veil Falls and back. The last one should have been the Cathedral Rock - Hutch's Pool Traverse loop with an overnight but because of the snow I didn't bring my camping gear in favor for snow boots. The heavy boots came in handy after ( Cardiac Gap as the trail got snow covered. It's cool to see cacti in snow and I'm really amazed of the diversity of the landscape.

This time I'll have 2.5 days for hiking starting at about 2pm the first day and ending on sunset the third. I'm thinking of exploring the Saguaro Wilderness Area and ponder about the route possibility. It would be neat to do a hike through from Javelina trail head to Miller Creek Trail head (or vice versa) via Mica Mountain but being from out of town I don't have anyone to shuttle me between trail heads. So instead I picked the following routes:

Option 1: Javelina Trail Head
Day 1: Hike up Tanque Verde Ridge Trail and camp at Juniper Basin. 6.9 miles
Day 2: Next day continue hiking up Cow Head Saddle and Fire Loop trails to Mica Mountain. Then return to and camp at Manning Camp. 12 miles
Day 3: Hike back via Manning Camp, Douglas Spring, and Tanque Verde Ridge trails. 18 miles

Option 2: Miller Creek Trail Head
Day 1: Hike up Miller Creek trail and camp at Happy Valley Saddle. 4.9 miles
Day 2: Next day continue hiking Ricon Creek, Douglas Spring and Cow Head Saddle trails to camp at Manning Camp. 17.4 miles
Day 3: Hike up Mica Mountain then head back via Heartbreak Ridge and Miller Creek trails. 13 miles

Feel free to give me any comments or suggestions about these routes. They are greatly appreciated. My biggest concern of course is water availability. So any info about that is also appreciated.

If you'd like to join me with the hike let me know. The dates unfortunately fixed for me.
C AZ

PostPosted: 10/31/2011, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a great time hiking in the Rincon Mountains. I did a shortened option of #2. Miller Creek - Happy Valley camp - Rincon Peak - Heartbreak Ridge - Manning Camp - Turkey Creek.

Photos and trip report are on my blog http://adventurelaus.blogspot.com/ . Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: